Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7805 started heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Far Han

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i was using a relay control board with 7805 connected. it worked fine for 6 months. now its 7805 started heating. i have changed the 7805 IC but it still heating. its changing 12 V to 5 V. can it be due to malfunction of diode attached to supply or malfunction of resistance attached?
kindly help

See if there is any short on the board or any component has shorted. Maybe the shorted component is drawing more current. Does the relays operate properly ?

How sure are you that this is new and what's the expected load current?

A 12V to 5V conversion is extremely inefficient and may start getting warm to the touch between 100-200mA.

How sure are you that this is new and what's the expected load current?

A 12V to 5V conversion is extremely inefficient and may start getting warm to the touch between 100-200mA.

Is the board still working?

Is it just one relay?

Did you measure the current and voltages?

thanks all for the replies. i could not come to internet so cant see post. yes there was problem with opto coupler IC attached just before 7805. it was drawing more current.

Status
Not open for further replies.