Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 741 Op Amp Non-inverting Butterworth: Phase shift questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

event.horizon

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm having a hard time understanding what causes the more-than-neg90deg phase shift of a first pole, low pass butterworth filter.

The formula is: -arctan(f/fh) where fh is the high frequency cutoff.

Theoretically, it shouldn't exceed -90deg even at extremely high frequencies but that's not the case. When I built one in the lab and simulate on in Multisim too, my phase shift exceeded -90deg and came close to -180deg. I also find out the the more the closed-loop gain of the op amp, the more the phase shift is off. Why?

Could anyone explain this. I know an op amps has capacitance but it would really be great if anyone can give me more detail about this.

Hi,

at first, a Butterworth response is at least of 2nd order.
That means that only one typical response for a 1st order lowpass is possible.
You are right in assuming that such a 1st order function shifts the phase by 90 deg at maximum.
However, if an opamp is involved the phase is shifted beyond -90 deg because of the real and frequency dependent amplifier properties.*** This is the reason that an active filter should be designed with a cut-off frequency that is approximately 50...100 times lower than the unity-gain frequency of the opamp. Otherwise, the deviations from the wanted response are not negligable.
*** A good opamp macro model incorporates up to 3 poles (phase shift -270 deg max)

Status
Not open for further replies.