Status
Not open for further replies.

Moof

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have to multiplex 12 digit 7 segment displays. How can i calculate the slowest time that i should show each digit, so i can see the 12 digit like they were all on?.

How are you planning to "scan" the multiplexed display? One digit at a time (1/12th or 8.3% duty cycle)? Or one segment at a time (1/8th or 12.5% duty cycle)?

This is important becuase it's difficult to produce good brightness with less than about a 10% duty cycle...

Refresh rate should be above about 50-Hz or you'll see the display flicker... If you're scanning segments (8 cycles for a full refresh), each segment should be on for no longer than about 2.5-msecs (50-Hz)... If you're scanning digits (12 cycles for a full refresh), each digit should be switched on for no longer than about 1.6-msecs (50-Hz)... If you select something like a 1.0-msec scan rate you should be safe with either scheme...

Good luck with your project... Regards, Mike

Moof

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
For a flicker-free display, you should use a scan frequency of about 50Hz. That is a period of 20ms, so each digit can be on for 20/12=1.66 ms. With some dead-time in-between, I would say 1.5ms per digit. That should be OK.

Moof

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…