Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6 layer stack-up recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm looking for stack up recommendations (keeping in mind readily available materials) for a 6 layer board I'm working on.

Design requirements dictate the following:

- maximum 6 layers
- lots of high speed traces DDR3, SERDES, Gbit ETH, USB2.0 etc
- high speed signals due to BGA need to be 4mils wide

So for 50/100Ohm with 4mil traces, the two inner signal layers need to be close to the ground and VCC planes (about 6 mils), this results in a total stack up of only 35mils assuming 4.3mil outer cores and 8 mil center core. So either I have a "thin" PCB at 35 mils or increase the center core to 35 mils or so and that will hurt the inter-plane capacitance.

So is a less than nominal 63 mil board a bad idea (perhaps to much board flex?) or do the advantages of more inter-plane capacitance outweigh a thin board?

Any 50 Ohm, 4 mil trace, 6 layer stack up suggestions are welcome

Re: 6 layer stackup 4mil trace

Is this a PC based design with a south and north bridge chips?
How many positive supplies do you have?
BGA pin pitch, size, number of pins?
Board size, mounting hole positions?
End use and environmental factors?

Is this a PC based design with a south and north bridge chips?
How many positive supplies do you have? 4: +5V(pwr in), 3.3V, 1.5V(DDR), 1.0V (Core)
BGA pin pitch, size, number of pins? 689(1mm), 256(1mm), 96(0.8mm)
Board size, mounting hole positions? ~6" x 6", non standard holes
End use and environmental factors?

Is this a PC based design with a south and north bridge chips? No this is a processor board for an industrial related product using a dual core QorIQ (P1020)
How many positive supplies do you have? 4: +5V(pwr in), 3.3V, 1.5V(DDR), 1.0V (Core)
BGA pin pitch, size, number of pins? 689(1mm), 256(1mm), 4x96(0.8mm)
Board size, mounting hole positions? ~6" x 6", non standard holes
End use and environmental factors? Industrial -40 to +70

I would suggest without looking at the schematic that 8 layers may be better. I will do some more research and be back.

For a start here is a good reference:
https://www.pa.msu.edu/hep/atlas/l1...ntorpaper_bga_breakouts_and_routing_52590.pdf

I agree on the 8 layer however one of the design criteria is "PCB to be 6 layers maximum". I'm 99% complete on the layout, will perform simulation in the next day or so with this stackup* and see how it looks.

1/2 oz -Top
2 x 106
1/2 oz - GND
6mil core
1/2 oz - signal
2 x 2116
1/2 oz - signal
6mil core
1/2 oz - VCC
2 x 106
1/2 oz - Bottom

Overall thickness = 35mil

Good luck, have you got signals crossing splits in the power layers?

No, solid plane for gnd (entire board), I split the 3v3 plane as it is not used in DDR area, so I use that plane for power in DDR area

In order to avoid possible cross-interference between neighbors signals, it is very important that routing in the adjacent layers are alternately mutually orthogonal one each to another, as follows:

• Mounting TOP ( Vertical )
  • GND
  • signal ( Horizontal )
*** [ SUBSTRATE ]
  • signal ( Vertical )
  • VCC
  • Mounting BOTTOM ( Horizontal )

+++

In order to avoid possible cross-interference between neighbors signals, it is very important that routing in the adjacent layers are alternately mutually orthogonal one each to another, as follows:

• Mounting TOP ( Vertical )
  • GND
  • signal ( Horizontal )
*** [ SUBSTRATE ]
  • signal ( Vertical )
  • VCC
  • Mounting BOTTOM ( Horizontal )

+++

I have avoided parallel traces on the (vertical) signal layer.

Thanks for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back