Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5v steup-up converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blapcb

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
On my board most of the components are 3.3v and there is one (important one) that is 5v.
Presently I am using a power section that has a 5v switcher and then a 3.3v LDO.
Now I need to add a 3.8v section (to accommodate a GSM module). But I don't want to use two switchers.
So, what I am thinking is that I could have a 3.8v switcher and then a 3.3v LDO (basically same as now). And then, use a 5v step-up converter (up from 3.8v).

My question is, since I have never used one before, is this a good idea? Sorry I know it sounds like a lame question but, is there anything in particular to know/consider about using step-up converters and is this approach OK?

Thanks

I think, the decison is depends mainly on efficiency and possibly interference/power quality criteria. I guess, that the GSM module with it's about 2 A peak current requirement will mainly determine the power supply scheme. Step-up converters aren't basically more probmematic than step-down, you can refer to a large offer of existing chips. In some cases (low current demand), it's appropriate to connect a simple voltage doubling rectifier to another switcher and add a LDO to generate the additional supply rail.

Hello Dear blapcb
How much current do you need? in my idea , you can design a simple multi winding fly back converter , to obtain all of the voltages that you need straightly . but it depends on your maximum current . ( it's efficiency will be good.)
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.