Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 monostable mode with an external trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaintrinh

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am working on a circuit of generating a squarewave (f = 40kHz) with a HIGH time of several nanoseconds ( i.e t = 10ns) using 555 ICs. (In this case, the duty cycle is 0.04%)
I'm using a 555 monostable mode (Pic 1) with an external trigger (Pin 2).
F4EU8UKH6S4GO9S.LARGE.jpg.
Here's my plan: 1st, I generate a 40kHz squarewave with a very high duty cycle(i.e 99%) (with another 555 - astable mode) and then put it in the PIN 2 of the monostable one. In this article, he's using an arduino for the 1st part.
I tested both; however, if the HIGH time is too small (according to calculation - i.e 500ns) the circuit will not work, it can only work, i'd say, bigger than 100us - this is not enough.
I also tested an astable mode one with an diode, i can only achieve a 300ns HIGH time which, is not enough...

I want to comfirm these:
_ According to theory,
_ The HIGH time : t = 1.1*R*C (R,C are from monostable part) - is this correct???
_ The 1st square wave will decide the overall output frequency and the 2nd (the monostable) will decide the HIGH time of that wave - is this correct also???
Help me pls, thank you. Finals are coming :(

P/s: If anyone has an idea of a squarewave with the HIGH time of several nanoseconds, pls share :)
Thank you guys.

Two simple methods to shorten the duty cycle from a single 555 IC. (No guarantee they can make a 555 operate for a few billionths of a second, however.)

Left: When output goes high, it conducts through the diode to charge the timing capacitor quickly.

Right: Makes use of the 'ctl' pin. Apply a range of voltage, and you alter the duty cycle.

The above are modified from circuits included in the menu of Falstad's interactive animated simulator.

- - - Updated - - -

Send a pulse through a capacitor to produce a spike. Adjust resistor value until you obtain a usable waveform. Feed the result to a logic gate to clean it up.

Only the positive-going signal is shown. When the signal falls to 0V, the output goes into the negative. This should be prevented by installing a diode in a strategic position.

Thanks,
Can you provide me the formula to calculate the frequency & duty cycle from your 2 methods, thanks.
I havent tested yet but can this provide me a nanosec high time? i mean, in theory.
Thanks

Thanks,
Can you provide me the formula to calculate the frequency & duty cycle from your 2 methods, thanks.
I havent tested yet but can this provide me a nanosec high time? i mean, in theory.
Thanks

A real 555 is not likely to perform that fast. The simulation works only in theory, of course. You'll probably have better luck with simple components, and a low parts count.

As for how to calculate RC values, the normal formula is invalid due to the unusual operation. Your simulation is as good as my simulation.

A small capacitor needs tiny current to charge/discharge quickly. Therefore you should probably start with the smallest values in your parts bin. Say 33pF.

Status
Not open for further replies.