Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

50V GaN device Bias Sequencing Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajan_pec

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need to have Bias Sequence card for GaN based Power Amplifier.

GaN based device needs sequencing , Gate voltage (-5V to -2V) first and then Drain voltage (Vd) (28 to 50V).
I have followed the app note (attached here) for my requirement. I have placed N-Channel MOSFET (PSMN8R2-80YS) in the final schematic.

I am getting +5V and -4V output but I am not getting Vd on the S-terminal of the MOSFET.
I am doubting on the Rsense Value. 10ohm (r24) Is it Correct?

Kindly help me in understanding this switching operation in LT4256 IC.:shock:

REgards,
Rajan

Attachments

• AN11130.pdf
    717.9 KB · Views: 163

I don't see anything wrong with the schematic in the document. What voltage do you see on the UV and gate pins?

I've done this function in integrated form for phased
array antenna element controllers and, if you do not
desperately need the lowest possible BOM cost, I
recommend you step away from the elaborateness
and use the PMOS load switch that they disparage.

Then your circuit could become extremely simple,
a NPN w/ B=GND, E through resistor to VG, C to the
high side loaded by a suitable shunt making -10V
for a -3V VG, and that node driving the PMOSFET
gate. You could get fancier with more gain and
sharper / more consistent VG thresholding, more
control of MOSFET gate drive and so on, if you
determined these had any value. But for dumb
simple gate-before-drain control you might get
away with really simple.

I agree that the circuit is pretty complex for just biasing a single device, and using Linear Tech components is pretty pricey as well...

I don't see anything wrong with the schematic in the document. What voltage do you see on the UV and gate pins?
Thanks for the reply.

Board is working fine now. Earlier I was feeding +30V as Vcc which was not enough to provide more than +3.0V at UV pin.
After feeding +40V and resoldering the N-MOSFET & Zener Diode (BZX) , board is providing required Vd at the output.
Regards,
Rajan

- - - Updated - - -

I've done this function in integrated form for phased array antenna element controllers and, if you do not desperately need the lowest possible BOM cost, I recommend you step away from the elaborateness and use the PMOS load switch that they disparage. Then your circuit could become extremely simple,
a NPN w/ B=GND, E through resistor to VG, C to the high side loaded by a suitable shunt making -10V for a -3V VG, and that node driving the PMOSFET gate. You could get fancier with more gain and sharper / more consistent VG thresholding, more control of MOSFET gate drive and so on, if you determined these had any value. But for dumb
simple gate-before-drain control you might get away with really simple.

Could you explain this circuit in detail with a ckt diagram?
Regards,
Rajan

Update: For initial testing , I have bypassed the temp compensation ckt. -4.6V Vout is taken out at connector through a three pin trimmer resistor (2K ohm). Thru this trimmer i am able to vary Vg from (-4.5V to -0.5V).
Vd (+48V) and Vg (-4.2V) signals switching timings are captured on CRO. Switching is correct with proper delay.

Problem: LAB Power Supply settings: V= +48V, Current limit = 1Amps
This board connected to GaN based RF PA card using good quality wires (Vd, Vg n GND). Powering On the board gives +48V and -3.8 V to RF PA card.
Using trimmer , Vg increased to -3.0 V (slowly) . As it reached -3.0V, PA device started drawing whole current (1Amps) and Vd drops to 0volt.
Why this is happening?

Note: Earlier I biased this RF PA card directly from a LAB power Supply & it was working fine . I took all RF measurments. For this RF PA, Id = 800mA @ Vg =-3.0V

Regards,
Rajan

if you look carefully the schematic you will notice a N-mos, instead You have to use a P-mos with the Source feed and the Drain towards the GaN..

Status
Not open for further replies.