4.7uF electrolytic cap - can be replaced other cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In a circuit, do you think I can replace a 4.7uF aluminium electrolytic capacitor with other types of capacitor (e.g. non-polarity, multilayer ceramic, polyester, etc)? Pls advise.

Thanks

4.7µF is just 4.7µF ..
Aluminium electrolytic cap can be replaced with almost everything .. I wouldn't say that the other way around ..
So, if the voltage is right - go ahead ..

Regards,
IanP

IanP said:
4.7µF is just 4.7µF ..
Aluminium electrolytic cap can be replaced with almost everything .. I wouldn't say that the other way around ..
So, if the voltage is right - go ahead ..
Can I say that aluminium electrolytic (AE) cap can only be applied to 'dc' applications (e.g. as output filter capacitor of a dc-dc converter)?
Thanks

powersys said:
In a circuit, do you think I can replace a 4.7uF aluminium electrolytic capacitor with other types of capacitor (e.g. non-polarity, multilayer ceramic, polyester, etc)? Pls advise.

Thanks

Your question is incomplete. What is the parameter which is the most important for your application: ESR, size, cost, DC bias characteristics and voltage rate, noise suppresion ?

Normal application...

powersys,
In most cases, the answer is "yes". The main advantage of aluminum is high volumetric efficiency (for a given CV product, the volume of the capacitor is low). Disadvantages are low reliability, high leakage current, high ESR (compared to film and ceramic types), high tempco.
One caveat: In certain voltage regulator applications, stability will suffer if the ESR of the output capacitor is too low. This is a case where worse is better
Regards,
Kral

powersys

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
There cannot be a straight replacement, a standard aluminum capacitor used accross the output of a Regulator may be stable ( due to the higher ESR of the Aluminium cap)
but may become unstable if it is replaced by a Ceramic one which has a very low ESR.
Inform were you are using this capacitor and what you intend to put in its place.

powersys

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…