Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3dB Coupler and Splitting Antenna Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

istly

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a PCB for a bluetooth/wifi chip that has different RF input pins for the Bluetooth and Wifi. Instead of using 2 antennas and having 2 separate traces into the chip, can I use a single antenna and a coupler to split the antenna signal into two rf paths going into the chip? Are there any other solutions out there?
Can I use a diplexer with two 2.4GHZ passbands outputs to split the antenna signal?
Can I simply split the antenna feed into two traces and route those directly into the chip; so long as I maintain the impedance of the pcb trace, how is this any different from a coupler ?

Thanks!

If Bluetooth and Wifi doesn't work in the same time, if you want to use a splitter/divider have to consider the +10dBm Bluetooth TX power going to the input of the Wifi receiver, and about +20dBm from the Wifi TX to the input of the Bluetooth receiver. In this situation the best is to use an antenna switch, which can be a simple diode that gives about 20dB isolation.
You cannot use a diplexer, because BT and Wifi have the same frequency range.
You can use split traces making an on-board splitter/divider, but again, have to take in considerations TX powers going to RX.

You could use a Wilkinson power divider. But you'll get still plenty of channel A TX reflected to channel B RX and vice versa due to imperfect antenna matching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back