Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulation tool for FPGA based systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

garvind25

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I wanted to know if there is any tool where I can simulate an FPGA based system ie. I can make a schematic choosing an FPGA, load it with HDL code, connect active and passive components, interface memory ICs etc and then run a whole system simulation to see if the project is working. I am taking a shot in the dark but then if there is anything of this sort, pls. let me know.

Thanks,

Arvind Gupta

I am not aware of any tools. You have digital logic simulators such as modelsim/activeHDL/Incisiv that do HDL simulation, then SPICE simulators (that I know nothing about) to simulate analogue components.

HDL simulators dont really do analogue electronics. They can do AMS - but those are only for models of components. HDL and analogue electronics dont really mix.

I wanted to know if there is any tool where I can simulate an FPGA based system ie. I can make a schematic choosing an FPGA, load it with HDL code, connect active and passive components, interface memory ICs etc and then run a whole system simulation to see if the project is working. I am taking a shot in the dark but then if there is anything of this sort, pls. let me know.
I use Modelsim for exactly that type of work. Note that you need to obtain or create simulation models for every component. The lowly resistor being one of the more difficult to actually model somewhat correctly. Things like memory models can typically be obtained freely, with some Google searching.

Also, for those passives, without a bunch more work you won't be modelling any actual analog processing, just interconnect basically. I've also used the VHDL netlist output from the CAD tool to produce the basic board model itself.

Kevin Jennings

Also, for those passives, without a bunch more work you won't be modelling any actual analog processing, just interconnect basically.

I have also simulated basic analog peripherals of a digital signal processing system in modelsim by including simple differential equations and signal converter models in the testbench. E.g. for a power electronic system comprised of a PFC boost converter and a DC/DC buck converter, inductors with series resistance and capacitors.

K-J/ FvM,

Thanks for the reply. Other than that it takes longer time that way. I will end up making the components first, then HDL simulation, then schematic and board design seperately then real hardware. One mistake in any of these steps and I am doomed. It may be simple for you people but not for me. So if you know of any such integrated packages which suits the requirement, pls. do tell (pls dont et offended).

Arvind Gupta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back