Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please Help to Design a simple low power output stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecs

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I have a folded cascode PA working in A class and i have an output of 2V before the matching network. If I just drive it with an L matching network to a 50 ohm load I get at best 100mV output. I assume the culprit is the big output resistance of the folded cascode (measured 870-4700j). I want a simple low power output stage so that I can achieve at least 250mV on the 50 Ohm.

I tried a simple Source follower but I got trouble biasing it as I dont have DC on my output. Any help please? I am stuck a lot of days.

What is your signal frequency? For your task I would use a simple transistor stage with a 4:1 output transformer to get a good match to 50 Ohms.
If your "PA stage" is working well with 2 V peak output (across what impedance?), it should be again easy to use a 4:1 transformer to get 0.25V across 50 Ohms.

I work at 2.4Ghz.

My PA stage seems to work fine but I can control the peak and lower it if its a problem (Its just a trade off between Pin and Ampification). The 2V peak is what I got with a transient analysis before the Matching network I used and I am pretty sure its in saturation region. I dont understand your question (across what impedance?).

The paper I am working on doesnt mention anything about an output stage and simply drives the output of the common gate PMOS of the folded Cascode topology to an L matching Network and I did that and all I got was what I mentioned. I can clearly see some other tranzistors(2 or 4 cant really see clearly) in layout except the ones in the schematics on paper so I guessed that there is a buffer that doesnt get mentioned or something else.

So my problem basically is that with that approach I cant get a satisfactory 1dB compression point, or reach 1mW output. So I am searching for a way to get that swing to the 50ohms.

S parameters and impendance matching are checked with Spectre.

Thanks for answer.

I work at 2.4Ghz.

My PA stage seems to work fine but I can control the peak and lower it if its a problem (Its just a trade off between Pin and Ampification). The 2V peak is what I got with a transient analysis before the Matching network I used and I am pretty sure its in saturation region. I dont understand your question (across what impedance?).

The paper I am working on doesnt mention anything about an output stage and simply drives the output of the common gate PMOS of the folded Cascode topology to an L matching Network and I did that and all I got was what I mentioned. I can clearly see some other tranzistors(2 or 4 cant really see clearly) in layout except the ones in the schematics on paper so I guessed that there is a buffer that doesnt get mentioned or something else.

So my problem basically is that with that approach I cant get a satisfactory 1dB compression point, or reach 1mW output. So I am searching for a way to get that swing to the 50ohms.

S parameters and impendance matching are checked with Spectre.

Thanks for answer.

I have a problem to advise: I do not use modeling. My experience is rather practical.
A good RF transistor with fT > 3 GHz should easily generate >+10 dBm to a 50-Ohm load. To match the output impedance I used a 4:1 impedance transformer; at 2.4 GHz my preference is to use coaxial resonators.

If your model is good but for the final stage, build the circuit and tune it. For +10 dBm output you will need ~30 mA DC current.

Status
Not open for further replies.