Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sodium persulfate as a PCB etchant

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I need some info about the safety of the Sodium persulfate when used as a PCB etchant.
Recently I purchased a bag of etchant called in German "Natriumpersulfat". Google translation shows that it is Sodium persulfate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_persulfate
Indeed it was a white dust that should be mixed with water to form the etching solution. Wikipedia refers to PCB etching use, so I am pretty sure this is what I purchased.

I am pretty amazed about using this solution, the PCB needs not to be constantly moved, it is smell-free and it does not paint anything it touches.

Wikipedia article refers to it as not being very toxic not ingested or touched. I do not smell anything when etching but I do not know if any non-smelling fumes are released.
Anyone know this and how toxic it could be?

PS. I etched my last PCB carefully inside a room and not smelling fumes at all!

Attachments

• DSC00068.JPG
    DSC00068.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 88

I don't know if you can read the german safety instructions, here's a safety datasheet. **broken link removed**

Some safety measures probably don't apply to the aqueous solution, e.g. risk of causing fire. The solution is however a strong bleaching agent and will ruin any coloured clothes, carpets etc. It's surely not good for your skin. Used etching solution contains biotoxic copper ions and should be treated as hazardous waste.

Hi,

google for "MSDS sodium persulfate"
and find the Material Safety Data Sheet. (this can be done with almost any material)

This tells you how to behave.

Don´t be shocked by the warning pictures and the "technical" description.
Maybe compare the MSDS of other known materials (ethyl alcohol) to get a sense of danger.

Hope this helps

BTW:

If you´re interested in some more (shocking) information then look at the MSDS of the ingredients of fragrants like airwick. This could safe your money ;-)

I don't know if you can read the german safety instructions, here's a safety datasheet. **broken link removed**

Some safety measures probably don't apply to the aqueous solution, e.g. risk of causing fire. The solution is however a strong bleaching agent and will ruin any coloured clothes, carpets etc. It's surely not good for your skin. Used etching solution contains biotoxic copper ions and should be treated as hazardous waste.

Of course it is self explanatory that googles and gloves should be used with any etchant and photo developer and also you should not eat it.
I mainly consider of the fumes, if any, with this fresh new and also used solution, because the fumes are the ones you cannot avoid. I etch inside a room with the windows semi-open. I do not smell any fumes but are there any significant amounts of non-smelly fumes on the new and used solution? That is my main concern and I cannot find it anywhere.

Unless you are using an air-bubbler to agitate the solution, there's no fume or liquid spray. In so far it's a relative safe etchant.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Unless you are using an air-bubbler to agitate the solution, there's no fume or liquid spray. In so far it's a relative safe etchant.

Just for comparison, I have found that the ferric chloride DO release fumes, even if the etchant is not disturbed at all, that is why I was really fascinated about the Sodium persulfate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back