Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 pins data communication Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlev

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi fellas,

I 've got the next problem :
I am designing a handheld device which should send commands serially to a host through a cable ( numbers of wires to be determinated ) de communication will be just one way from the handheld to the host.

The length of this cable link would be 100 mts ( 300 feet ) maximun.
I know I can use rs485 with :
- one wire for power ( maybe 12 vdc) to power up the handheld
- one wire for ground (GND)
-two more wire for the data ( +Data and -Data)

Four wire in total.

I wonder if exists another protocol that would allow me to use 3 wires only.
I read about the Dallas_Maxim 1-wire technology.......but I am not sure if
this could solve my problem.

The challenge is that 3 pin cables and 3 pins connector ( audio ) are really cheap and my company is trying to use 3 pins as its standard.

Any help will be appreciated.

RS485 is not a protocol :p
You can use RS485 receivers and transmitters for unbalanced single-wire link. Use just one output of RS485 transmitter, and one input of RS485 receiver. Apply +1.2V dc offset to another input of the RS485 receiver.

Akouz come up with good idea except you will still have problem with how to controll transmission/reception pin on the RS-485 transceiver.
Some years ago I was in need of reading RS-485 device trough my laptop and this resulted in a circuitry that I have to draw properly and pass on to you later. Basically it is 3-transistor circuit that from output looks like "open collector", input accepts TTL/RS-232 and the third transistor controls transmission/reception.
I will draw it later today so you will have a look at it.
And the most importat thing is that it works with up to almost 300m of cable and any baud rate !!!

Attached is the scanned circuit (not very good resolution)
Now, use only line A, this is your pin 1, pin 2 = +12V, pin 3 = 0V and your task is solved.

Thank you guys
I really appreciate your help.

keep the good work going.

rlev

RS232 is not suitable for long distance communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back