Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 Phase Current Calculation w.r.t Hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravi

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Folks,

What is the formula to calculate Power consumption on each phase for a 3 phase motor with respect to Hp, when connected as mentioned below.

• 1. Direct On-Line
  • 2. Star - Delta

Thanking you,
Ravi Kumar Gangumolu.

What do u mean? Power consumption on each phase and Hp both denotes the power and single phase power is 1/3 times of total power..

1 HP = 746 watts. Star/delta wound motors trade voltage for current, same power in, different voltages and currents. Because not all the current flowing in a three phase motors is actually contributing towards the power of the motor, the current is 1.732 higher then expected. i.e. 750W single phase 250V motor, current = 750/250 = 3 A. If its a 250V three phase motor, current is 750/3 = 250 W per winding, or 250/250 = 1 A or 3 X 1.732 total.
Frank

What do u mean? Power consumption on each phase and Hp both denotes the power and single phase power is 1/3 times of total power..

Dear Venkadesh,

1 Hp motors consume different power and 3 Hp motors consumes more power than that of 1 Hp motor, My question is what is the formula to calculate power consumption on each phase.

Thanking You,
Ravi Kumar Gangumolu.

- - - Updated - - -

1 HP = 746 watts. Star/delta wound motors trade voltage for current, same power in, different voltages and currents. Because not all the current flowing in a three phase motors is actually contributing towards the power of the motor, the current is 1.732 higher then expected. i.e. 750W single phase 250V motor, current = 750/250 = 3 A. If its a 250V three phase motor, current is 750/3 = 250 W per winding, or 250/250 = 1 A or 3 X 1.732 total.
Frank

Dear Chuckey,
1 HP = 746 Watts that is fine that is total Power consumption on all the three phases, How to calculate power consumption w.r.t each phase.

I think you are asking current,

in 3phase induction motor in one phase,

1 Hp 1.5 A,
2 Hp 3 A
that is the way to calculate it..

Dear Venkadesh,
I am asking about, Current consumption w.r.t Phase, As Mr. Chuckey said that depends upon Voltage, How to calculate Current consumption w.r.t Phase.

Thanking You,
Ravi Kumar G

All depends on the system voltage!!!
Frank
Il = P/ (√3 Vl) assuming power factor is unity
Vl - line voltage
Il - line current
p - 3 phase power in watts...

I shortly defined for 415V line voltage in India...

Status
Not open for further replies.