Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 Phase bridge rectifier, made from 3 single phase rectifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Edge

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need a 3 phase bridge rectifier that can handle around 15A / Phase.
The limit for fairly inexpensive ones seems to be 35A, higher than this and the price is just not viable for the product.
I know paralleling diodes is not a good idea since one diode will usually take most of the current.
My idea is to use 3 35A single phase rectifiers, with each rectifier having it's AC inputs tied together, which works out cheaper even than the one 3 phase 35A unit.
They will of course be bolted to the chassis of the machine, and have thermal grease, and the duty cycle is less than 10%

Can anyone think of a reason why this is a bad idea?

Regards
Bob.

"35A single phase rectifiers, with each rectifier having it's AC inputs t", so the 35 A rectifiers are bridge rectifiers?. Have you checked their PIV?
Does this mean that the neutral is your output reference. with each phase rectified and then commoned? Every time a rectifier conducts there will be a pulse of neutral current.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.