Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3.3 volts or 5 volts from 1.5 volt battery. HOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btbass

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need a cost driven circuit that can generate a supply for a micro from a 1.5 volt battery. The supply can be anywhere from 3 to 5 volts.
The current requirement is very low, 10 - 30mA.
Space is very limited, so I think a SOT-23 smps IC is the way to go.
Anybody done this or could suggest a low cost IC to use?
Your help would be appreciated.

Stepup circuits are simple. They have an oscillator that pulses a current into an inductor (or transformer). A voltage spike is produced when the current turns off. The spikes are filtered into a higher DC voltage.

Another way to boost a voltage is with a charge-pump IC. The ICL7660 is the old first one but there are newer ones with a higher output current.

Solar garden lights. A 1.2V battery is charged all day. The 3.5V LED is lighted by a simple voltage stepup circuit at night. But the LED current might be only 5mA or 10mA.

Reactions: hero46

hero46

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I have looked at charge pumps, but most of them have an inverted output voltage.
You can convert this to a positive votage using two diodes, but then the forward diode drop is too much at this level.
The charge pumps that give out a positive regulated voltage are too expensive.
Switchers are more efficient, I've just got to find the most cost effective one.

"The Joule Thief" is a popular voltage step-up circuit that is simple and small. Its output current is fairly low but it lights an LED when the battery cell has dropped to 1V.

Reactions: hero46

hero46

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
My problem is space, the pcb is 16.5mm diameter and the height restriction is 3mm. A SOT-23 and Tant_B is about the biggest component I can fit.
The Inductor on the Joule Thief is to large.

Major analog companies (TI, National, Linear, Fairchildsemi) have some parts that basically fit your requirements (cost criterion may depend on...). Why not simply start to select a suitable device? I don't want to make a suggestion cause you're continously coming up with new requirements.

Regarding suggested single transistor inverter: You're free to design it with a smaller inductor, it's always an option, although no high efficiency should be expected.

If you want 3.5V at 30mA then a stepup circuit will need 1.5V at 84mA. The little 1.5V button cell might last for 2 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back