Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2unit of lm7805 input connected in series

Status
Not open for further replies.
No...

First Read and try to understand datasheet of 7805

This idea come to me in a sudden.
As i know 12V input to 5V will have 7V heat losses.
So just wondering if series as in attached diagram make it two unit with 6V input to 5V will be ok or not.

please advise which consideration i have missout.

Thanks

Why the second input is grounded. Are you trying two achieve two stage conversion? What is your output current requirment?

because i am trying to connect both lm7805 in series so that the input voltage is 6V per unit hence less heat will be generated.
assume 800mA will be used for my circuit.

If your idea is to spread loses between two 7805s then you have to connect [input-output]==>[input-output] in series ..
Pin[2] is the reference for the 7805's output, which is fixed at 5V level, and can not be used in any other role ..
Have a look at the attached picture and see how you can "shift" the output voltage of the 7805 so it produces more than 5V - in this example it is roughly 8V ..

Also keep in mind that a standard 7805 regulator needs at least 3V difference between input and output ..

:wink:
IanP

Attachments

• 2unitlm7805.jpg
    2unitlm7805.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 118
Hi IanP,

can you please help to provide a rough drawing/circuit "connect [input-output]==>[input-output] in series"?
i cant get the picture.
Btw i think you have miss out the attachment previously.

thanks for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.