Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2D Lines Instead of Copper When Importing to Mentor Graphics PADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayfar3r

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I occasionally need to import RF designs made in NI/AWR Microwave Office to Mentor Graphics PADS. I can export a DXF file easily enough in Microwave Office. PADS generally won't read these files, but I can use AutoCAD or SolidWorks as a middle man and PADS will import those DXF files. However, when I look at the layout in PADS, the transmission lines are disconnected 2D lines instead of a copper fill. The DXF import tool in the drafting toolbar does allow you to assign shapes to copper or 2D lines, however, the lines will still not be filled even if assigned as copper lines. I can fill the lines by selecting each line, right clicking, and selecting "close". This is very tedious though. Does anyone know a better way?

I was able to solve this by running the file through AutoCAD instead of SolidWorks. It would seem these two pieces of software handle poly lines differently. I am struggling to find a way to manually place vias in PADS Layout, if anyone knows how to resolve that?

To help anyone who may later run into this, the best way I find to manually/arbitrarily place a via was to place any part with pins anywhere in the design. I pasted a 2 PIN SMT resister on a ground copper pour. I then added a connection between the two pins and added a via on this connection. You can then copy-paste that via anywhere. You do need to leave the donor part though, or all vias will disappear.

The other problem I ran into was that when I exported gerbers from PADS the files were huge in size and it turns out they were made up of many tiny lines. The board house was not able to use them. I eventually gave up after finding out that AWR can export gerbers and drill files natively. It worked okay. I did have to go in and set the tool on the excelon drill file manually, and only one tool can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back