Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

28Vac to 5 x 12Vdc @3 to 5A PS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWhoF

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need a power supply which will convert 28Vac (aircraft power) to 5 outlets capable of powering loads at 12Vdc and currents of 3-5A.
Any ideas?
This power supply has to be mounted in a metal enclosure and should have all safety features such as fused inputs and outputs, overvoltage and current limits.

Thanks.
DrWho

28Vac x 1.4 ≈ 39.2V dc This ius how high will be the voltage after rectification ..

If you can work with 3.5A then I would go for LM2576HVT-12 (or ADJ) as only these switching regulators are rated for input dc voltage >50Vdc, and, I think, you need that margin ..

So, select bridge rectifier, say, 25A-35A ( http://www.futurlec.com/DiodesBridge.shtml ) and use 1000µF capacitor per 1A output, of course rated for at least 50Vdc, I would go for 63Vdc ..

And build 5 identical channels fed from the same 39.2V dc based on the LM2576HVT switching regulators: **broken link removed**

As the LM2576 has internal current limit the only output protection that I think of will be a fused >12V crowbar .. below is an example of one such circuit ..
This circuit can be simplified by replacing comparator and it's associated components with a 12V zener diode connected between the output and 1kΩ resistor (SCR's gate) ..

Regards,
IanP

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back