Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MC34063A DC - DC converter.....opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the device has been suggested to you in one of your previous threads. What are you exactly asking for?

34063 is pretty old and one of the cheapest switcher ICs on the market, but still serves it's purpose in many applications. It has some limitations, you e.g. won't want to use it for circuits targetting to high efficiency, low switching noise and similar advanced features.

I'm looking forward to a shower of new threads about 34063 circuit issues. :smile:

I know that the device has been suggested to you in one of your previous threads. What are you exactly asking for?

34063 is pretty old and one of the cheapest switcher ICs on the market, but still serves it's purpose in many applications. It has some limitations, you e.g. won't want to use it for circuits targetting to high efficiency, low switching noise and similar advanced features.

I'm looking forward to a shower of new threads about 34063 circuit issues. :smile:

Was it? I don't remember now.

Well then it is obviously a good choice.

I am a little disappointed that it is so damn difficult to design a boost converter out of trannies.

May be I will use the above device for my oscilloscope but still try and build a boost converter as a side project later on.

I doubt it because the datasheet contains all the details I need for the device. Can't be that difficult to fiddle with the component values etc to get the right output. It wasn't with the 555.

Where as with a discrete transistor positive boost converter is like looking for a needle in hay stack, or a needle on a football field in the case of an an inverting boost converter.

Last edited:

Was it? I don't remember now.

Well then it is obviously a good choice.
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/262577/#post1123457

I doubt it because the datasheet contains all the details I need for the device. Can't be that difficult to fiddle with the component values etc to get the right output.
Oh yes. I recently used the part to design a boost converter from the scratch, it was working without any changes. But there are still some ways to screw it up.

On my observations for stable work of MC34063 current through voltage prescribinging divisor (connected to 5 pin) must not be less than 5ma.
Though some parties work with smaller current, but without warranties.

Last edited:

On my observations for stable work of MC34063 current through voltage prescribinging divisor (connected to 5 pin) must not be less than 5ma.
Though some parties work with smaller current, but without warranties.

I will try and keep that in mind while I am fiddling.

- - - Updated - - -

This works quite well in multisim. Although I only had it hooked to a signal generator and there was no feedback mechanism so the voltage seemed to vary with the load.
And the author states that it is not necessarily super efficient.

Can some one run through the feedback mechanism for me? I know what the control pin on the 555 does however, i.e. halts the oscillation while it is high.

And what is that circle with the two triangles in it?

boost2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.