Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24V BLDC motor controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrefrk

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i have a 24V BLDC motor. I want to rotate the motor certain angle or laps. The motor have 3 pin that "+", "-" and "GND". I'm not sure what kind of ESC i need use for position control. I found some ESCs but these ESCs have different pin names that "U", "V", "W". What kind of ESC do i need use to control for this motor?

Hi,

raw BLDC motors have (mainly) three wires like U, V, W.

Since your motor has "+" and "-", I guess your motor already has a contoller inside.
Bad thing: I don´t think it´s easy to use it with position control.

Klaus

Hi,

raw BLDC motors have (mainly) three wires like U, V, W.

Since your motor has "+" and "-", I guess your motor already has a contoller inside.
Bad thing: I don´t think it´s easy to use it with position control.

Klaus
Thank you for your answer. If there is a controller inside how do i connect these pins + -> 24V, - > PWM and GND ->GND. Is this connection true?

Hi,

I don´t think PWM at all.
Just simple DC.

But your motor should have a plate on it, should have a brand and a partnumber... and a datasheet.

Klaus

It sounds like your BLDC cannot be externally controlled...other than maybe reversing the power connections makes it go the other way, eg + to GND = clokwise, - to gnd = anticlockwise.

Maybe it will adjust speed depending on the voltage you put in?.....thats not the typical behaviour of BLDC but maybe yours is set up like that.
We need the Datasheet as Klaus says.

Hi,
Maybe it will adjust speed depending on the voltage you put in?.....thats not the typical behaviour of BLDC but maybe yours is set up like that.
That´s not that unlikely.
Often BLDC_including_controller are designed exactly for this case. Where the input voltage controls the RPM.
But not all of them. The datasheet tells you. Also the validinput voltage range and the according RPM.

Klaus

Hi,

I don´t think PWM at all.
Just simple DC.

But your motor should have a plate on it, should have a brand and a partnumber... and a datasheet.

Klaus
It sounds like your BLDC cannot be externally controlled...other than maybe reversing the power connections makes it go the other way, eg + to GND = clokwise, - to gnd = anticlockwise.

We need the Datasheet as Klaus says.
This is the document i have but i couldn't decide type of motor and how to control.

Attachments

• motor.png
    motor.png
    169.5 KB · Views: 115

7 mins max, then cool down time, it's either on or off, 24VDC ...1A, also you could have included ALL the data in your screen shot ...

7 mins max, then cool down time, it's either on or off, 24VDC ...1A, also you could have included ALL the data in your screen shot ...
The supplier said that this motor is BLDC before and i looked proper esc for this motor. Then I received this document and i'm confused. Is this motor bldc? If not do i need to brushed dc motor controller? I'm newbie about motors so i'm not sure how to control.

take it apart - you can soon tell if it's BLDC or brushed
--- Updated ---

Here is the full link:

it only turns 120 deg, it is mean for slow adjust of solar panels - why didn't you put all this information in the 1st post - you appear to be wasting peoples' time ....
Sorry but i don't understand how to control this motor. Do i need just give 24V or need need controller?

Hi,
Sorry but i don't understand how to control this motor. Do i need just give 24V or need need controller?

How can we know?
You have the motor in your hands, while we don´t even have a part number.

We all did the "guessing" already.
If you need more "reliable" information, then you have to contact the manufacturer.

Klaus

Thanks Easy Peasy.....yes, to control this, i woudl have a cct that clamps the current to 1 Amp max.....then put in a voltage to it of 0-24V.........but to control it you will need some kind of external position sensor on the solar panel.........so that you can tilt the panel to the correct degree.

You will have to experiment to see, with the weight of the panel, what minimum voltage is needed to actually move the panel at all......i guess the position sensor coudl take the form of say a ...uurm......potentiomenter slider which moves along a resistor as the panel tilts, to give you variable resistance with position of the panel....you just calibrate it to your liking.

If it is a BLDC motor, then it must have an internal controller, meaning you need to close the feedback loop externally. But that also probably means there's no way to reverse the direction of the motor, which will likely be problematic for implementing a servo controller.

I'm betting it's actually a plain brushed DC motor. Prior experience has taught me that if you make a request to a motor vendor, they will just throw something random at you and tell you it's exactly what you want.

At least with a brushed DC motor you can reverse direction...

Status
Not open for further replies.