Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is an USB UART and what are its functions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddharthakala

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am looking to buy the Nexys 3 FPGA Board, but dont know what a USB UART is?? Is it a UART system with USB instead of a RS232 port. i.e. the previous boards that I worked on had RS232 port and I used the same to implement my UART design. Is USB UART the same thing, only with a USB instead of an RS232 port for connecting with a computer or other UART system??

Re: What is a USB UART??

An USB UART is, most likely, an integrated USB-to-RS232/TTL converter.
Have a look here FTDI Products. It is one of the manufacturers of that kind of converters.

The USB UART has a simple 2-wire RX/TX interface on the FPGA side, and appears as a virtual serial port on the host PC. So in windows country thats COM3: for example, and in linux that's /dev/ttyUSB0 for example.

On the PC the software can then be a terminal program like hyperterminal, minicom, or your own program using serial port. The Nexys3 uses an FT232, so the link by Marcel Majoor should help you out.

Hope that helps...

USB UART concept become famous bcz many PC an laptops are not comming with serial port now a day thus ....there is serial port output one can get using a USB serial device in market ....and you can access the USB connected to your PC as UART port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back