Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74hc595 current cappabilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

thannara123

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how much current can be drawn from it ?
can i drive 8x8 LED matrix directly without ULN (or LED drivers )
please help me how can i calculate the values for driving the 8x8 LED matrix
thanking you

it can drive 70mA. check the data sheet. without uln or led driver you can drive these 8x8. I have used it with 74 series IC working great.

it can drive 70mA. check the data sheet. without uln or led driver you can drive these 8x8. I have used it with 74 series IC working great.

No it can't.
70mA is the MAX (total) supply current.
For the outputs there is a MAX specification of +-35mA (Qn) but the operating specification give a voltage drop in the output of about 1v with just 5mA so if you intend to use more than that you have to use an additional driver device.

Alex

please tell me the available drivers for driving LED matrix /

ULN2003 for cathodes
ULN2981 for anodes.

or you can use discrete transistors

Alex

how can i correctly calculate 8x8 led matrix current ?
how much current will draw each LED ?
i don't know how calculate it ?
10MA x 8 Led = 80MA
if so
then how the voltage ? or what is the voltage comes from the 74hc595 ?

There's a huge number of previous threads discussing suitable LED matrix circuits and their calculation.
See e.g. https://www.edaboard.com/threads/218991/ Much more refrences can be found when searching the board intensively.

The required current capability of row and column drivers is different by a factor of eight, which is usually considered when selecting the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back