Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to setup a Zigbee peer-to-peer 2.4GHz network

Status
Not open for further replies.

perplexious

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have got a task to design n establish a 2.4GHz Zigbee peer-to-peer network... How do I design it ?

Are you going to use ZigBee XBee modules?

If so, I would recommend buying a pair of XBee Series 1 modules. They usually require no additional setup and will successfully form a connection out of the box.

You can code and test your design for a direct serial connection between peers and replace the physical serial connection with the ZigBee XBee Series 1 modules.

I have posted numerous examples and tutorials in the group:

broken link removed Embedded Wireless Networks - WiFi, ZigBee, MiWi, 802.15.4, Bluetooth & RF

The XBee series 2 are designed for wireless mesh networking as such they require considerable setup or initialization before two peers can be connected.

Other OEM ZigBee modules require varying amount of setup/initialization and coding, some require the use of supplied libraries.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

BigDog

Last edited by a moderator:

Can u tell me how the block diagram of a Zigbee peer-to-peer network will be? Can we use Microchip's Zigbee module instead of Xbee module...which one is much easier to be used?

Can u tell me how the block diagram of a Zigbee peer-to-peer network will be?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If the network has only two nodes, then there is only one possible diagram.

Can we use Microchip's Zigbee module instead of Xbee module...which one is much easier to be used?

Microchip's ZigBee modules have an SPI interface and require the use of a software library package. They also require the use of the PIC18, PIC24 or PIC32 families and are not supported by the PIC16 families.

So the ZigBee XBee Series 1 modules are much easier to implement.

BigDog

In terms of a block diagram does it actually mean that we have an input connected thru a RS232 connector to the Xbee module transreceiver den from the transceiver another RS232 to the microcontroller n to the output ?Is the microcontroller attached to the Xbee module o do we have to construct a separate circuit? where do i find examples of source codes for Xbee module? Thanx a million

The XBee modules are 3.3V devices, therefore a separate regulated supply or breakout board is required in the PIC is running at 5V. A breakout board also simplifies the task of breadboarding the XBee modules, due to the fact they have a 2mm pitch rather than the more common 2.54mm pitch.

XBee Explorer Regulated Breakout Board

XBee adapter 5V Board

If your design requires interfacing an XBee module to a preexisting RS-232 port, such as a PC RS-232 Serial Port, you will need to implement RS-232 transceiver or an UART to USB bridge adapter board.

XBee to USB adapter board

XBee Explorer USB Board

Establishing a connection to a MCU, such as a PIC, can be made directly to the MCU's UART.

Xbee Wireless Interface to PIC Tutorial

For additional design and code examples, as I mentioned previously, reference the broken link removed Embedded Wireless Networks Group.

BigDog

Last edited by a moderator:

Xbee modules actually comes with a transmitter and receiver which is standalone...o izit a transceiver...Xbee modules can interface with Microchip's PIC rite? Can Microchip modules interface with other microcontroller families other than PIC's?

Hi, I'm a beginner and trying to set up a zigbee network, I have done some research and there seems to be lots of different hardware. I am not sure which are needed to establish a working network but is it possible to get a zigbee usb as the controller(transmitter) and a zigbee plug(receiver) on the other end where a device can be plugged into?

Sorry, if I am not very clear but any answers will be appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.