Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

20A, 100 Hz SPDT Toggle Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

soybean56

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
spdt toggle switch

Hello,
For a school project I am trying to design a circuit that will allow me to take a single roughly 20Amp DC input and split in between two outgoing lines. I would like for the outgoing lines to "fire" separately; i.e. one ougoing is carrying 20 Amps while the other is carrying none, and then vice-versa.
Ideally, this switching would take place around 100Hz, but anywhere between 60 and 100 would work.
I'm having difficulty finding a switch that can switch between that current and that frequency.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

spdt solid state relay

Toggle switch? I think the way to go is an triac/scr solidstate switch (SSR). It is controlled at the input with a few milliamps of current and 5 to 20V. you get these in all flavours of voltage and currents. All u would need for the drive is a 555 toggling at 100 Hz or what ever frequency u desire.

555 toggle switch

I was thinking of using a click PLC to control the switching of one of these relays

https://www.power-io.com/products/hdd.htm

I would have two of those relays hooked up (one for each outgoing current). The current path would be directed by the PLC descision.

Does this sound reasonable?

Like this

Thanks for the help!

big spdt toggle switch

no yuo cant use relay at 100Hz. and 20A.it die on you quick.......................

You use solid state

each relay only have 2 million or so switches..........then contact s wear out big time

you IGBT .

toggle switching relay

Forgive me for being confused, but I have two questions.

1) The relays I was looking at and posted a link to are called "Solid State Relays for DC load switching".
https://www.power-io.com/products/hdd.htm

What is the difference between that and "Power Solid State Relays" that was posted in reply?
**broken link removed**

2) The second set of solid state relays, can they even achieve 100 Hz like we would like? I see on the second html link above that the turn on/off time is 20/5 microseconds. 20 microseconds is only 50Hz.

I contacted the company that makes the relays I posted a link to, and they said that my setup would work.

Am I missing something? I'm just really confused. I've never claimed to be a circuits whiz.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.