Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

200mA 12 fuse to 240v type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I have in a device that is powered by 12v, a 200mA through hole fuse (the ones that look like capacitors).
But I want to replace the fuse with a holder like the ones used to hold 240V mains fuses.

My question is, may I use the same current mains fuse for 12v or do I need to decrease the current of the mains fuse if I use it on 12v?

In other words, if the 12v fuse was 200mA, and my 240v fuse was 200mA, will the 240v fuse provide the same protection as the 12v one in the circuit, or will it blow slower and possibly cause other circuit damage?

Hi,

These all are rather vague informations. A lot to guess.

Fuses are rated for
* their holding current
* maximum switching current caoacity
* trip timing (vs current)
* AC and/or DC
* maximum open voltage (not that an arc shunts the fuse, for example)
* temperature range
* case size and type

I recommend .. if you can't find out case name, you should at least provide a photo. (100kByte should be sufficient)

We don't know what fuse is installed now (see specifications above), nor why you want to replace it, nor what fuse you want to use (specifications).

Klaus

The first one (12v) is to be replaced with the second (glass 250v rated). I do not have any idea about the specs.
This it to protect a 50A psu from discharging through a 100-200mA consuming circuit, if somehow something goes wrong in the circuit.

Attachments

• fuse1.jpg
    fuse1.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 68
  • fuse2.jpg
    fuse2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 77

Notice that subminiature TR5 fuses are 250 VAC rated, including UL.

I understand that you are changing to 5x20 mm cartrige fuses due to better availibilty. Current rating doesn't depend on voltage. Fuses can be generally used for lower voltage. In critical cases, fuse resistance should be checked.

I do not have any idea about the specs.
Isn´t there any marking on the fuse?
That can give an information about manufacturer, type, fuse speed, article number ...

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.