Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2.45 ghz power fet suggestion needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biff44

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a project to generate around 35 watts in an oscillator at 2.45 GHz. I normally don't deal with higher power active circuits, so I am not that familiar with modern fets. After some google searching.....I am having trouble finding a fet to do the job.

Google turns up a lot of devices, but many seem to be older Motorola, NEC, or Fujitsu parts that I suspect are either obsolete or "not recommended for new designes". Things like the MRF286. I can find new devices from places like Cree or Polyfet, but they are pretty expensive (>$100).

So, who makes a modern low cost (maybe $35) FET that can be used as an efficient 35 watt 2.45 ghz oscillator? I am not particular about the type (GaAs, MOS fet, etc), so long as I can make an oscillator out of it.

Thanks,
Rich

LDMOS is the only possible solution, I guess, with that price target. It is a stable technology that can be pushed up to 2-3GHz.

Freescale has a large catalog: RF LDMOS Power Transistors.

Usually those parts are intended for amplifiers, I wonder how you'll design an oscillator with them. Why not use a more traditional oscillator and amplify up to 35W?

Mazz

Because a single FET circuit is going to be cheaper than an oscillator and some gain stages. Also, the voltage supply will be simpler because I need only one 28 V battery voltage, vs lower voltages for driver stages/oscillator AND the 28V output stage.

Would be not cheaper, because to make it work you have to use a much higher operating frequency transistor (due to higher gain and lower drain capacitance at oscillation frequency).
For example for an 8W 450MHz power oscillator, I had to use a power transistor dedicated for 900MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back