Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie007

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
so i have made a copper tube antenna that has dimensions of 1m x 1m with a thickness of an inch. The antenna is tuned for 13.56Mhz i know it works because i used a spectrum analyzer and it detects the antenna. What i want to know is. with this antenna design, am i able to achieve a 1 meter read range with passive RFID tags ?

I'm thinking i need to input at least 8 watts of power to the antenna.

thanks.

The power is limited by the spectrum regulations, and I think 8W is way too much.
This kind of magnetic antenna is used by radioamateurs not having enough space for a full size antenna. l remember in radioamateur handbooks it said it's not safe to stay near a magnetic antenna during tranmission - at least a few meters.

The antenna appnotes for magnetic antennas say distance=coil radius and this is true for usual size centimeters.
However this is true because the antenna and card/transponder size are quite compatible and the coupling is good. The card is much smaller than 1m, so in this case the coupling may be inefficient, only a small part of the energy will intersect the card. Also the effect of the card modulation would be hard to observe on the powerfull antenna signal - the receiver coupling is problematic because of high power.

well. i'm unable to achieve 8 watts of power. my main concern now is getting the proper impedance matching with the transmitter and antenna.

What size tag your trying to detect? I mean the tag antenna dimension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…