Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mystery of Chinese Nokia 6100 LCD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kievari

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I've got this very famous LCD:
SparkFun Electronics - Color LCD 128x128 Nokia Knock-Off

As one could see, the pinout on that page and all other documentation is prescribed:
Code:
   1.   VCC-Digital (3.3V)
   2. RESET
   3. SDATA
   4. SCK
   5. CS
   6. VCC-Display (3.3V)
   7. N/C
   8. GND
   9. LED GND
  10. LED V+ (6-7V)

The mystery came from China! This LCD I've got is a copy, and has signs of being different with pinout.

On Chinese LCD, pinout is backward numbered, i.e. pin 1 is 10, 2 is 9, etc. but this is only numbering!

Connecting the 10th pin to VCC for BL and 9th go GND gives no result, which must give, as according to documentations all around about this LCD online, they are VCC and GND of BL. At the same time, connecting 1st pin (the VCC of logic on documentations) and 2nd (must be RESET), turns the back light on, that is behaves as if "only the numbering is backward written but the functions are based on original documentations".

To prove this idea, I connected pins as written in documentations and run codes of all existing tutorials. Nothing works!

1. if this pinout is nonstandard, well, then how Chinese are claiming that this LCD is to repair Nokia 6100, 6610, etc. LCDs? Could we beleive that "all" Chinese sellers on Ebay are giving wrong info? No, in my opinion. Then why the LCD didn't work with any tutorial I've tried in some 3 days?

2. if the LCD is to work as the original Nokia, why then 3.3v turns back light on, and going to 5v make it more pale instead of making it lighter? This tells us about the voltage booster? Who knows please?

3. could anybody help me advance out of this problem point please?

Last edited:

First of all let me know how is your querry about Nokia LCD related to the Microcontrollers as it is posted in the said section?

First of all let me know how is your querry about Nokia LCD related to the Microcontrollers as it is posted in the said section?

Sorry for the mistake, I just edited my initial post and you could see there the link to the LCD. I'm not sure if I got your question right (query?) so please correct me if I'm wrong. Also I couldn't understand what you mean about "said section" please. Thank you.

you should probably direct your questions to people who sold the lcd to you.

having said that, you have proven that your hardware / software combination doesn't work. you haven't proven that your hardware, on its own, doesn't work.

Anyone could open some view that helps please?

First you must find out which controller is used in display Philips or Epson. They uses different codes for display commands.
Vhen playing vith display take care that display Vcc is only 3.3V. Back lit uses 6-7V at abt 40-60mA. At 3.3V display would not lit.
It's better to talk about your problem in microcontroller section.
N6100 displays can come in few variants so be carefull.

Thank you! this last answer helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back