Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Counterfeit PIC microcontrollers on eBay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick C.

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Are Microchip parts being counterfeited? I don't mean non-working parts with fake labeling, but work-alike counterfeit microcontrollers.

If you check eBay for Microchip microcontrollers, you can often buy them for a fraction of the usual retail price, from many different sellers, and almost all of these auctions originate in China. The inventory seems to be endless.

I'm wondering how Chinese dealers can get these Microchip parts to sell so cheaply, especially when Microchip parts are manufactured in the USA and shipped to Thailand for assembly - China never enters the equation.

The auction feedbacks seem to indicate that these parts function well enough to please the buyers.

So, what's the secret - counterfeits, stolen parts, etc? How do they do it? I've contacted some of the eBay sellers, but was not surprised when they ignored my questions.

how Chinese dealers can get these Microchip parts to sell so cheaply,

a few possibilities:

1) they are willing to make a smaller margin;
2) they bought close-outs;
3) they found a way to produce, at low costs, functionally equivalent parts;
4) they stole the parts;
5) they are willing to sell them at a loss;
6) they just wanted to be nice to you;
7) they love ebay;

the list is probably endless.

China never enters the equation.

don't be so quick. If you order parts directly from microchip, chances are you will get parts that microchip ships out of China.

Probably the best reply for this thread. "Millwood" you said my words....Cheers
Chineese get support from the government for every industry they bring up. Too electricity and labour is very cheap compared to other countries. The only drawback is China is lagging behind in English language which is too coping up very soon and china is emerging as a Electronic market leader, with close competation to other giants.
Other possibilities are as said by "millwood"

Status
Not open for further replies.