Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

13.56MHz Antenna Q factor - what is good value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvargo

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
13.56MHz Antenna Q

Hi, I am looking into 13.56MHz antennas to use for ISO 14443 and/or ISO 15693 applications. I've developed prototypes in the lab that are working, but I have a confusion on the 'Q'. The antenna I'm using is a loop antenna, and I match it by using a couple of capacitors. All of the sources I've read have said to set the Q of the antenna by using a parallel resistor, and there are plenty of equations to do this.

My question is: what is a good Q for those two standards? From what I've read, a higher Q will give longer read distances (can anyone explain that?), but also obviously a lower bandwidth. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience designing these antennas and can offer some insight into what I should set the Q at.

Thanks!

13.56MHz Antenna Q

Bandwith respectively intended data rate is the criterion to set up the antenna Q

The relation of Q and range is in conjunction with transmitter power. A higher Q means higher field strength with same
input power. But all RFID standards specify also a maximum field strength at the tag. So there's no use in increasing the field
strength above a certain value depending on the loop size and the respective RFID standard. For 14443, safe operation
directly at the loop should be possible. For 15693, you possibly can specify a minimum operation distance, allowing a
higher operation range. Check the specifications for details.

13.56MHz Antenna Q

i could give u an simplified answer.
the loop antenna is seen by a circuit as an inductor, thats why you match it with capacitors.
when u do that it becomes a parallel resonant circuit which is mainly described by its Q.
the Q in definition is the central frequency devided by the 3 db bandwith.
so the wigher the Q the lower is the bandwidth
and the wigher is the power transmitted to the load at resonance which is the central frequency.
so that's why it offers a longer read distance since power transfered is larger.
so in ur design u must choose the Q as large as possible as long it supports the bandwidth that the system must offer. this way you get max distance at a certain bandwidth.

13.56MHz Antenna Q

Hi,
A typical transponder IC has Rload=20Kohm, with L=5.5uH, Rdc=3.5 Ohm >> with an N=1 winding on 1cm2 you can have a readdistance of 40-70 cm; depend of right tuned systems...

You must check, that with a bandwidth of ca. 1.5MHz on your needed distance the transponder min 2V becoms_this is the reason of compromiss between Rload(Q) readingsdistance & coil data...
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back