Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v in place of 6v in the circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajaram04

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello sir

here i got a circuit of emergency lamp , please check & confirm if it is all clear or need changes as usual ??

788_1.jpg

what changes we need if i replace 6 volt battery with 12 volt 1A ????????????

please comment

1) A 6V, 4AH battery has twice as much life as a 12V 1AH one
2) Your regulator is set for about 8V output; I assume that is supposed to charge your 6V battery? It won't work for 12V, you'll have to change a resistor.
3) If everything in your circuit is supposed to run at 6V, and then you supply 12V instead....

1) A 6V, 4AH battery has twice as much life as a 12V 1AH one
2) Your regulator is set for about 8V output; I assume that is supposed to charge your 6V battery? It won't work for 12V, you'll have to change a resistor.
3) If everything in your circuit is supposed to run at 6V, and then you supply 12V instead....

okk which resistor ????

Too if i add 3 batteries in series each of 4 volts 1 amp & 1.0 AH to get a 12 volt then how about it in comparison with 6 volt 4AH ?

The LEDs, the 5 ohm and the 10 ohm resistors will burn out if you replace the 6V battery with a 12V battery. The resistors must be re-calculated to use the different voltage but there are no spec's for the LEDs.

If you connect three 4V/1Ah batteries in series then you get a 12V/1Ah battery. If you change the voltage of the LM317 and change the resistors for the LEDs so that the current is the same then the 6V battery will power the LEDs for 4 times as long as the 12V battery.

okk which resistor ????

Too if i add 3 batteries in series each of 4 volts 1 amp & 1.0 AH to get a 12 volt then how about it in comparison with 6 volt 4AH ?

You don't give us enough information. What kind of battery? What's the current draw of the LEDS? etc.

You don't give us enough information. What kind of battery? What's the current draw of the LEDS? etc.
A 4V battery is obviously a lead-acid type. I doubt that they can buy a "3.7V" Lithium battery over there.

The "table lamp" and "search light" are obviously white LEDs and with a little over 6V there are probably 2 in series making a string then 6 strings per group of LEDs.
6 strings will draw about 100mA then the 10 ohm resistor will have a voltage of 1.0V and each LED will use 16.7mA.

With a 12V battery then 4 LEDs can be in series and use less total current than with the 6V battery.

am I blind? I do not see any battery.
do you mean to replace the mains with a battery or change the transformer?

am I blind? I do not see any battery.
do you mean to replace the mains with a battery or change the transformer?
The schematic shows a 6V 4Ah battery in the lower middle. It is charged by the LM317 circuit and powers the lights when the electricity has failed.
Everything electrical over there needs a rechargeable battery because their electricity is not reliable.

I struggled to find it too lol

Basically the circuit will work very brightly for a short time.

It may be very short while it goes POP!
It will not charge the battery as the output is likely 7.6v

You would be best getting a 6v battery.

Found it [the battery]! So much would have to change I doubt it would be worthwhile, and unless the LEDs were changed or re-configured [as audioguru suggests] it would be less efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back