Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V Full bridge waveform doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrinalmani

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am testing a 12V full bridge converter connected to a step up transformer. The output of the transformer is rectified using a SiC bridge diode. There's no inductor between the SiC output and the bulk capacitor.
The transformer is being driven by simple PWM. Alternate high and low FETs are on for a brief interval followed by a large deadband where all switches are off. During deadband, the current through the transformer leakage should reset to zero. But instead of stopping at 0A, it shoots negative and then snaps back to zero. The negative overshoot is significant. What could be the reason for the negative overshoot? Could this cause potential heating? Please share your opinion.
Here is an attached oscilloscope snapshot.

Attachments

• Full_Bridge.png
    Full_Bridge.png
    209.7 KB · Views: 96

Hi,

I guess the problem is caused by D1.

Klaus

your current measuring device may be in error ... esp if it is a CT that needs resetting ....

Your waveform looks as though it goes with a modified sinewave. It has a similar dead zone between the positive and negative pulses. The dead zone involves abrupt shut-off of current.

However it's difficult to make an inductive load (or transformer) compatible with this. The transistor shuts off current but the inductor wants to continue yanking current through the wires.

I've seen a similar overshoot in my simulations of a transformer driven by pulses via an H-bridge.

It could help if you turn off current less abruptly. Or, by providing a path for transformer current during dead time. It might be a snubber network, or diode clamping, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back