Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] +12V Battery OR Car Battery Can Harm Full ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halee awan

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to All

Hope You all are fine and will be Enjoying your's life

I have Simple Question today

Can Car Battery (12V,96Amp etc)be harmful or Fatal for an Human ?
If yes Please Explain it in detail .I want to discusse it in great Detail in order to get Experts Opnion and Experience etc (Espacially Skin Resistance,internal Resistance etc)

Please Leave your useful comments or Any Experience Regarding this issue

As a voltage, it is safe.
Even 50V (the line of the old bell phone delivers 48V DC when open for example) can't be harmful in normal conditions (that is not when one taking a bath :wink: ).

As a current, it can be real harmful if by mistake the battery two terminals are shorted by a heavy wire. It may not cause death but a severe skin burn may happen if not damaging the eyes in case one's head is close to the flash. Of course in case of a small 12V battery, a short can only harm the battery by discharging it quickly.

Kerim

Hi,

Check this link.....

Car Battery and Care

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

try this....

**broken link removed**

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

As you have asked about danger caused to human due to such batteries we cannot neglect a single case....
There is a case where you can cause harm.... if you connect the two terminals of such battery to your tongue mistakenly( in order to strip its insulation of wire).... there is a chance for a severe burning in your tongue....

Chemically - extremely dangerous, they contain lead which is a highly toxic metal which is absorbed and accumulates in body organs and they ciontain sulphuric acid which causes skin burns and can cause blindness if it reaches your eyes. As long as you keep the battery stored safely it should be safe though.

Electrically - 12 Volts is not enough to cause electrocution but it might cause tingling if it connects to open wounds or the mouth area. The biggest danger is a sudden release of the stored energy due to a short circuit. Lead-acid car batteries are designed to produce very high current bursts for several seconds so they can operate starter motors and rotate a cold engine. My car battery for example is 80 AH meaning it can sustain 80 Amps load for 1 hour but it has a peak current of 285 Amps. These currents are high enough to generate a large amount of heat and will easily burn wires as thick as 6mm. There is also a remote danger of the heat exploding the battery itself if the current is too high for too long. Be careful charging car batteries too, I had one explode spectacularly and throw hot acid everywhere when it's charger broke down let too much current flow.

Treat them with respect and they are very useful energy supplies but they can be very dangerous if abused!

Brian.

They generate Hydrogen and Oxygen gas when charging, which is highly explosive. Plenty of batteries have blown up when they were confined to a small space and used.

Also, if you drop one on your foot......

In a very rare case, the 12 -15 volts coming out of the battery could be dangerous, but you would have to have heart pacemaker wires coming out of your chest for that to happen.

And as mentioned, if you short circuit the battery, it is a fire hazzard.

Really:-this material is helpful :-

Thanks you very much to all of you ;

one thing more
If a man mistakenly touches the both terminal of the battery ,What do you think what would happen ,severe damage ,sudden death ,?etc
And what about skin resistance of the human ,if we suppose it was not in wet/sweating condition :-

One unexpected way a shock could result is by touching the solenoid terminals as the key is moved from the 'start' position to 'running'.

The shock will only be momentary yet it will be several times battery voltage. If the battery is low there may be a 'chattering' of the solenoid resulting in many shocks in succession.

Furthermore if you jerk your arm away you may strike it on something and hurt yourself. Of course this danger also goes with the other cases mentioned.

Really:-this material is helpful :-

Thanks you very much to all of you ;

one thing more
If a man mistakenly touches the both terminal of the battery ,What do you think what would happen ,severe damage ,sudden death ,?etc
And what about skin resistance of the human ,if we suppose it was not in wet/sweating condition :-

One can touch both terminal of a 12V battery and nothing happens to him. And he will not be able to know if the battery if charged or empty (dead) :wink: unless his skin is very sensitive :smile:

Kerim

The voltage is not the critical factor, at least not up to the point when arcing occurs and the resulting plasma causes heat burns. That won't happen with a low voltage like 12V.
What IS dangerous is the current that flows. The body behaves like a resistor and follows the laws of physics and Ohms Law, the current flowing between the points in contact with the battery terminals will have two effects, firstly it will cause heating (Watts = Voltage squared / body resistance) and secondly it will mimic the elctrical stimulus from the nervous system and cause muscle spasms. For these effects to be serious the body would need to be much lower resistance than normal and have a very good connection to the battery. For practical purposes I wouldn't worry about direct injury from the battery itself. what you should be concerned about is the danger posed by releasing the energy into something else that can cause injury.

Brian.

The voltage is not the critical factor, at least not up to the point when arcing occurs and the resulting plasma causes heat burns. That won't happen with a low voltage like 12V.
What IS dangerous is the current that flows. The body behaves like a resistor and follows the laws of physics and Ohms Law, the current flowing between the points in contact with the battery terminals will have two effects, firstly it will cause heating (Watts = Voltage squared / body resistance) and secondly it will mimic the elctrical stimulus from the nervous system and cause muscle spasms. For these effects to be serious the body would need to be much lower resistance than normal and have a very good connection to the battery. For practical purposes I wouldn't worry about direct injury from the battery itself. what you should be concerned about is the danger posed by releasing the energy into something else that can cause injury.

Brian.

as far as this statment is concern " firstly it will cause heating (Watts = Voltage squared / body resistance)"
there will be very low value of watts near to 30mW if we suppose skin R=500k ,and its not harmful
secondly what will happen with nervous system ,i dont know ...
Any how thanks for all usefull info ;

30mW is harmless, but remember the body resistance depends on the conductivity and the contact area. More area = lower resistance but at 12V it still shouldn't cause any practical problem.

It's the muscle spasm in an electric shock that (hopefully !!) makes you let go quick. The muscle movement is faster than the time it takes for a pain receptor to send a signal to the brain and for the brain to send a signal back to retract from the cause of pain. It follows the electicity must operate the muscle directly. DC and AC shocks feel different believe me- I've had plenty of both! :shock:

Brian.

yeah!

Practically Experience is telling us something different !
unintentionally I touched the both terminal many time for short duration ;
after reading the article and conversation i am getting fear ,whats was going on at that time !
after deep analysis my opinion is ,its nothing else of ;if you are not sweating/wet then its not enough dangerous as we are considering because human skin resistance,dose not allowed to follow of huge current and voltages are also low ;
But Remember that if its electrode or terminal are penetrated in human body then clear cut sudden death,even 9V are sufficient !

and remember one thing its doesn't mean you go and do like this ,because skin resistance change man 2 man

Status
Not open for further replies.