Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4-20mA transmitter circuit to replace discontinued XTR115

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
xtr115

Colleagues,

Could anyone suggest a schematic for a 4-20mA transmitter circuit?

I was using XTR115, but TI had put the production on hold. It looks like TI closed the plant that makes Burr-Brown parts to consolidate it into another facility. TI claims they might be able to make these parts again in January. The only other similar chip I could find is AD694, and it’s not compatible with XTR115. I would be more comfortable, if I had my own transmitter built of generic parts (OpAms and discretes).

Thanks,
- Nick

4-20ma transmitter

I'm not sure what the term "transmitter circuit" means.

I can always post a chematic of a constant current source (my variants can alter the current quite rapidly), but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

xtr111 microcontroller

Nick

You may want to look at some products from Analog Microelectronics like the Am422. They are available in the US from

Servoflo Corporation
75 Allen Street
Lexington, MA 02421
https://www.servoflo.com

see:
**broken link removed**

There are two design ideas in Electronic Design
Voltage-To-Current Converter Works From A Single-Supply Rail
**broken link removed**

and
Microcontroller Interface Delivers Standard 4- To 20-mA Output
**broken link removed**

Here is anaother in EDN
Circuit provides 4- to 20-mA loop for microcontrollers
**broken link removed**

and if you check the output section of the following design idea, you will see the most common format:
Current Loop Has 5-kV Isolation
**broken link removed**

These may help you.

Can you tell me where you found out about the XTR115? I see nothing on Digikey or the TI web site. We use the XTR110 quite extensively and I have just designed the XTR111 into a product. Am I going to see a problem with these parts?

-Aubrey

4-20ma transmitter circuit

antedeluvian said:
Can you tell me where you found out about the XTR115? I see nothing on Digikey or the TI web site. We use the XTR110 quite extensively and I have just designed the XTR111 into a product. Am I going to see a problem with these parts?

Aubrey,

Thanks for the links!

I found out about availability problems with XTR115 from one of my clients. I guess, he called DigiKey and Burr-Brown/TI.

- Nick

4 20ma transmitters

Hey guys,

Can you tell me a little bit more about the XTR110/Xtr115 applications that you are using it for?

Regards,

Southpaw

xtr115 circuit

Hi,nick,

**broken link removed**
you can use converter module

Re: xtr115 circuit

Consider AD420 if you have a microcontroller in your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back