Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to expand the I/Os of PIC microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

distinct

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Would somebody list the options available to expand the Inputs/outputs of a PIC microcontroller with some explaination and if possible reference webpages?

I will start with what I know:

OUTPUT:
74HC595: This is a Serial to Parallel chips. It receives serial data from the microcontroller and shift them using the clock to outputs 8 bits at same time. It requires 3 pins from the microcontroller (SERIAL DATA PIN, CLOCK PIN, LATCH ALL PIN and can output 8 pins. Further More, many 74HC595 chips can be cascaded for even more outputs.

mcp23s17 keypad

I²C bus, all possible chips available... ...
I once found an app note on the Atmel site with I/O expander, LCD, keypad, E²PROM, all on two pins of a µC

Lot of code to find on the web how to implement I²C bus.

74244 spi

i think distinct your choice is ok these sipo reg are very fast and shift data upto 100MHz clk speed, so i think its a best way to expend uc pins im also use this chip for port expention

i/o expander mcp23s17

Hi,

You can use the MCP23S17 or MCP23017, that are a 16-bit input/output port expander. Them have a interrupt output too.

The MCP23017 has I2C interface, and the MCP23S17 has SPI interface.

I hope that it helps.

Regards.

Re: PIC I/O Expansion

I have problem while writing in MPLAB but using mikroc i got the output bcoz very functions are inbuilt in mikroc. Help me to write in MPLAB for MCP23S17 with PIC16F877A.

gomathig said:
I have problem while writing in MPLAB but using mikroc i got the output bcoz very functions are inbuilt in mikroc. Help me to write in MPLAB for MCP23S17 with PIC16F877A.
Why do people add to old threads that have nothing to do with their question? START A NEW THREAD!

in my opinion you have three choices:

- you can use buffer and latch chips 74245,74244 and 74373 to build a multiplexed bus system.
- you can use 8255 PPI chip but you will need to read about it and how it works.
- you can use another cheaper MCU like 16F84 to expand the I/O.
the above choices also are great.

good luck :D

elrayes said:
in my opinion you have three choices:
- you can use buffer and latch chips 74245,74244 and 74373 to build a multiplexed bus system.
- you can use 8255 PPI chip but you will need to read about it and how it works.
- you can use another cheaper MCU like 16F84 to expand the I/O.
the above choices also are great.
good luck :D
See, this is why you shuldn't post to old, unrelated threads. Now 'elrayes' has answered a post that is over 1-1/2 years old, and 'gomathig' didn't get an answer to his questions.

See, this is why you shuldn't post to old, unrelated threads. Now 'elrayes' has answered a post that is over 1-1/2 years old, and 'gomathig' didn't get an answer to his questions.[/quote]

I think gomathing found a solution, i replied for any one else would like to discover the issue and find some solutions :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back