Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

whats the difference between soc and fpga

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOC is system on chip for example the chip used in a digital camera. FPGA is a programable device which u can use to fuse the logic u want to test by writing a code (also you can erase and reuse the board again for a different logic) ... U can even write a code for soc and implement it in FPGA the speed of operation is less..in Mhz range..

SOC contains all the modules including PLL, Data converters & processors etc.... FPGA can be programmed to work as a chip for the particular application & may not be having all the modules inside of FPGA itself.

FPGAs are having their own limitation interms of speed.. For example Spartan3 can work upto 500MHz.... SOCs can be designed for the particular speed.

soc and fpga can be same u could develop the complete system in a single FPGA. Soc means system on chip.

Soc is the abbrevation of "System On a Chip". It may contain digital or analog IP.
For example CPU(digital), RAM(digital), ADC(analog), DAC(alalog), OP(analog) ...etc. .
But Most of the FPGA just contains digital IP.

This is what I know.
if I'm wrong, please correct me.

SOC can be designed to work at particular frequency and FPGA has the frquency limit like spartan cannot run more the 500Mhz.

soc is a specific asic designed for system integrating. fpga is a device for implementing digital circuit.

SOC usually integrates some verifiable IPS to make up a digital system.
FPGA can be used as verification way in the early stage of asic design. And, fpga can also be used as a digital system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back