Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

100 points for good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I did a similar project few years back. Where i had to store the data in test file and plot the data.
I used the parallel port for interface and i used a logic circuitry to read the parallel data by using a shift register logic and it was slow as i used a logic in my code to read the particular bit as a reference clock and when clock is high then read the successive bit, the clock was set to the D1 of the paralle port input. and read the data from D3 and decoded it worked fine.
Hope u also can try this.
In case u want u also can refer to the book "Parallel port complete" which gives the complete details of the parallel port circuitry.

Cheers
Gowtham

use NI labview that would be easy for data aquistaion and to integrate it with excel

just, do one think
make small matlab program
for acessing parallel port and time of pc and create file for database .

this is most can you do.

Buy a PICDEM FS USB board with a Pictail board for SD/MMC card and you have all the hardware you need to make a log file on SD card that you can read with your PC. The real time clock you can make based on the XTAL, do not think you need seconds accuratcy do you ?.

you shold use of an microcontroller like 8051 or avr or pic and simply write software for it.

well
there are two approaches to this one is hitech and the other is for testing.
connect ur hardware directly to ur pc via parallel port using c or matlab.(if u have problem in this i can give u the sample code).
the other is to connect ur hardware to a microcontroller and connect ur microcontroller with ur pc. it will save ur power.
the microcontroller can log the data and when ever u require the data u can communicate with ur controller.

i can help u out in both approcahes if i have the information about ur hardware and software that u are uisng.

hi
that is very simple
you can use the atmega16 for micro&intrnal INT0 for sens&timer for cunt &rtc(DS1307) for real time and data &USART for communication to pc&use vb or c++ or matlab or labview or even hyper terminal
to save your information
as you like

if you have still not got idea, pl. contact me . I may give you the required hardware and software support.

hi
i can suggest u to use
IR or micro-switch or sensor---->parallel port of PC---> software to record the events such as Qbasic if u are not familiar with C or other languages.
if u are interested in my design i can help u
byez

you can use 89c2051(very simple /very low cost) to design it.
hardware:89c2051(11.0592M HZ)+max232
software :use vb com

use AVR
in BASCOM (basic compiler for AVR from www.mcselec.com it is free for up to 4Kbyte HEX which is enough for this projct):

$regfile = "m16def.dat" ' or any other AVR
$crystal = 4000000 ' for Example 4Mhz internal RC
$baud = 9600 ' use baud rate

Enable Interrupts

Config Date = Mdy , Separator = /
Config Clock = Soft 'this is how simple it is

Date$ = "10/15/07" 'set default DATE
Time$ = "12:00:00" 'set default TIME

'config your LCD pins if you want any LCD on your board
config pina.0 = input

Cls
Do

10:
if pina.0=0 then goto 10
20:
if pina.0=1 then goto 20
waitms 200
Home
Lcd Date$ ; " " ; Time$
print Date$ ; " " ; Time$

Loop

End

use internal RC @ 4MHz and a 32768Hz RTC crystal and your signal to porta.0 pin also MAX232 level convertor for RS232
open HYPERTERMINAL,open COMx,BAUD at 9600bit,DATA Bits 8,Parity none,Stop Bit 1,Flow Control none

you can see time and date in PC each time there is any signal from switch

amiralib said:
whit AVR or PIC or ...?
you need idea or you need all the circuit?!
you can use INT0 and Timer1 four counting and you can use Matlab to get report az text
AVR is good for you
hello
yes AVR very good .

There are several projects (with software and hardware) on the net. You have to know how to search.
As all said you can do it with a microcontroller or just PC.
For PC Look controling home appliances from PC
Look for books containing projects
make a search and let me know if you need help.
You have to decide which way to go. I have experiance in both

hi
its better if you use simply atmel 2051 with max. it is low cost and easy to build.

It is simple
if you are use the atmel at89c2051 chip
1'st read from senser by cpu port and then tx to PC by RS232 port.

the time count use by cpu interrupt.

you can use plc software and write simple program.

8051 and AVRs are not easy to get here in the USA, so PICs might be a good bet.

About 5 years ago, cyganal try to sell their high performance 8051 to us, very good design & performance. However their price is high comparing with PICs, samples are hard to get, and no +5V parts available for automotive market made us decide not using their staff.

Now they are sil-lab. Seems got better service than before. Still think it is a Very good platform.

Don't know much about AVR. Got the development tools, never get any sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back