Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

100 Amps 900 Volts Traics

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravi

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Folks,

I am looking for cost effective 900 Volts Triacs which could switch 100 Amps load, Can any one suggest me with part Numbers.

Thanking You,
Ravi Kumar G

I am looking for cost effective 900 Volts Triacs which could switch 100 Amps load, Can any one suggest me with part Numbers.
Hi Ravi
BTA series and KT series will suit your aim .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I would primarly think of an industry standard dual-thyristor module.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hi,

Can you provide me any part No. I have used BTA41 earlier which is 40 Amps.

Thanking You,
Ravi Kumar G

BTA41 is 800V. I presume you won't find a 100A/900V triac. Thyristors are preferred for high current, but the control circuit is more complex, at least trigger transformer with dual secondary winding.

There are many possible modules and single thyristor devives on the market, you should check your local suppliers.

Just as an example:
https://in.element14.com/semikron/skkt92b12e/thyristor-module-95a-1200v/dp/2301730

tpetar

Hi,

How about using 3 BTA41 in parallel to a common Heat sink and out put connected to heat sink, All the three Triac's are triggered with common source. Will this work out.

Thanking You,
Ravi Kumar G

Hi,

How about using 3 BTA41 in parallel to a common Heat sink and out put connected to heat sink, All the three Triac's are triggered with common source. Will this work out.

Thanking You,
Ravi Kumar G

Will work until the smoke appears.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Will work until the smoke appears.
To elaborate the comment from my side, there are basically some risks involved with paralleled triacs:
- thermal runaway. The negative dVf/dT slope causes a nonuniform current share. You'll need at least a certain current rating margin, e.g. 4 instead of 3 devices
- risk of trigger failure of individual triacs
- possible exceeded dI/dt rating due to delayed trigger of individual triacs

All in all, it may work but nobody can guarantee.

tpetar

Hi,

Now a days Diesel Generators are being used in Parallel in industries. I don't think this is complicated than that. we need to put some extra efforts than what is in data sheet.(This is my perception only) lets give a try. I am looking for information regarding what are the precautions need to be taken when while designing PCB.

1. Maintaining equal track lengths and track widths for both Input and Output with respect to Triac's.
2. Current limiting for each Triac individually.

I think second option would be better and more reliable.

Thanking You,
Ravi Kumar G

Hi,

Now a days Diesel Generators are being used in Parallel in industries. I don't think this is complicated than that. we need to put some extra efforts than what is in data sheet.(This is my perception only) lets give a try. I am looking for information regarding what are the precautions need to be taken when while designing PCB.

1. Maintaining equal track lengths and track widths for both Input and Output with respect to Triac's.

I think second option would be better and more reliable.

Thanking You,
Ravi Kumar G

Why to paralleling ? You can use adequate part suggested in earlier post and solve situation.

There is no precautions while designing PCBs for this. This power rating thyristors/triacs dont go on PCB, they go on heatsink and only link with rest of circuit is thick copper strip or thick copper wire.

HV is another additional aspect of view, you mention something around 900V.

My advice avoid to make cheap designs for this currents, specially avoid usage of cheap parts. Buy parts from reliable supplier not over ebay or similar sites.

Best regards,
Peter

;-)

This generator comparison is flawed in several regards. The specific problems with paralleling triacs have been already addressed.

Balanced wiring resistance would be presumed. PCB wiring isn't easy for 100 A, referring to allover copper pours rather than "traces". On the other hand, some additional wiring resistance worls against thermal runaway.

Current limiting, how? Do you mean individual fuses? Their resistance variation must be feared to cause more current inbalance.

If you don't mind to risk a number of test devices, you can give a try to e.g. four BTA41 in parallel (if the voltage rating is sufficient). Gate currents should be made high enough to allow fast and reliable triggering. You should be sure that the circuit is safe against unintended dV/dt triggering.

I expect however that you can get economic thyristor modules (e.g. from chinese market). The easy wiring and heatsink mount will most likely result in less overall costs, apart from all reliability aspects.

tpetar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back