Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

10 Gbps Transmission to the Moon and Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

steppermotor

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In a class I'm taking right now the professor assigned us a project to simulate a system that can transmit a 10gpbs signal to the moon from Earth using components that exist.

(1) I'm not sure whether this is really possible 10Gpbs is pretty fast
(2) If it is, how do I choose the proper transmission frequency and how is this related to the bit rate (10 Gpbs)?I was thinking about using QPSK modulation.

With such a huge round-trip distance and the delays it would introduce, you might consider using laser rather than radio techniques. Laser can be focused to a relatively narrow beam so you minimize dispersion losses and it can also be modulated at high speed. Think in terms of fiber optic but with open space rather than glass as the medium.

Brian.

Apparently I can only use radio-links not optical laser.

With such a huge round-trip distance and the delays it would introduce, you might consider using laser rather than radio techniques. Laser can be focused to a relatively narrow beam so you minimize dispersion losses and it can also be modulated at high speed. Think in terms of fiber optic but with open space rather than glass as the medium.

Brian.

Moon relay transmission with low power and low data rates is a standard amateur radio thing, 10 Gbps is an exercise problem, your assignment is to calculate the required transmitter power with optimal modulation and state-of-the-art receiver sensitivity.

I did a link budget analysis in syscalc for my receiver a simple heterodyne. I used 30 GHz are the fo, and IF=5 GHz. Range=238855 km (distance from moon-earth), and QPSK modulation, I also needed a BER of 1e-6. According to syscalc the sensitivity will be -59.6 dbm,margin - 130 db. The antenna factor I'm using is 59.8 and input power -40dbm.

The thing I'm confused about is how to chose the proper frequency to transmit at 10gpbs, I read that I should try the 70-100 GHz range. Also how did I know how much power this will consume, is it reasonable/possible?

Moon relay transmission with low power and low data rates is a standard amateur radio thing, 10 Gbps is an exercise problem, your assignment is to calculate the required transmitter power with optimal modulation and state-of-the-art receiver sensitivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back