Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1 kHz - 100 MHz frequency measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

per_lube

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I got a down-converted signal from an RF front-end and the frequency of the down-converted signal varies from 1 kHz -100 MHz.

I need to know the frequency of the down-converted signal and take some decisions based on the frequency in an electronic circuit.

I found some frequency-to-voltage converter chips (such as LM2917) which works only up to 500 kHz - 1 MHz.
I can use this one to measure up to 1 MHz, but I need to measure frequencies up to 100 MHz.
I don't need a very accurate frequency measurement.

Could anyone suggest a method to perform this?

cheers,
per_lube

The output signal of a RF front end is rarely a single frequency that can be measured with a frequency counter or f/V converter. Even if it is mostly a single frequency, you need to think about level range and signal-to-noise ratio.

A prescaler (frequency divider) is the usual way to get a frequency range that be measured with a frequency counter or similar.

Thanks for the reply FvM.

Does it require to feed a square wave to the prescaler or is it possible to directly feed the sinosoidal signal which comes out from the RF front-end?

The question must be answered for specific prescaler devices. Many of it have a kind of built-in preamplifier and signal shaper, so they can work with signal levels (usually sine) of several 10 or 100 mV. But for a meaningful frequency measurement, the signal must be spectrally clean, not a mixture of different signal components.

Here is a project of a suitable frequency counter for that frequency range: http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53mv/counter/counter.html just to give you an idea. Althou I think that spectrum analyser is better if measured signal is complex and not single frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.