Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 1 Hz clock pulse for digital clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

yingyingong

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to design a circuit that uses TTL ICs to generate 1Hz clock pulse for digital clock? all the design that i found are using CMOS. anyone can help?

thanks in advance

It is better to use CMOS logic to have lower power consumption, higher noise immunity etc.
how ever , if you have to use TTL only, perhaps you can try NAND Schmidt gate for 32.768KHz crystal oscillator. Later , use binary counters to get 1 sec pulse.

Last edited:

You could do it with a simple 32.768KHz XTAL oscillator then divide it a few times with a prescaler/divider or a chain of D-type flip-flops (ripple counter). However, TTL really is a waste of time here.

You can use a single 74HC4060 as an XTAL oscillator (at 32.768KHz) and a 14 stage counter/divider. It has both inside. That will give 2Hz which is pretty close - just chuck the output through a D-type flip-flop to divide it again for 1Hz.

**broken link removed** <-- XTAL circuit + divider

but the rest of my design is using TTL. if i'm using CMOS, is there anyway to connect it to run my TTL ICs that i've designed?

you can level shift and use it.
instead of using CD4060, you can use 74HC4060 and it is TTL compatible.

Or a 74act4060, act series are designed to be connectable to 74ls logic, I've used 74hc logic with ttl it does work fine.

This probably wont apply to your application, the counter chip that divides the frequency down to 1 hz will be accurate over a period of 1 second or more, however if you need accuracy down to a microsecond then you'll need a sychronous counter or a gating circuit that synchronizes the output with the oscillator.
An asynchronous counter will have very slight jitter on the output, over time this will cancel out.

this is the circuit that i've drew? can anyone tell me where i did it wrongly?

how bout the one using 4060? is there any full circuit that i can refer to?

if follow the the nixie clock generator, 4013 cannot connect to 74LS393 and the rest of the circuit which are TTL. am i correct?
therefore, i've connected the pin 3 of 4060 to the CLK if 74161 and Qa will be 1Hz right? can this work?
and how can i calculate the value for the capacitor and resistor? i can't get the value shown in the nixie clock generator. can anyone help me?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back