Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying resistors and placements

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSUjr

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am completely new to electronics and I would like to ask for some help.

I have recently purchased an electronic kit called "PIC Dual Dice"

This did come with a schematic and some instructions but not being familiar with electronics I've gotten lost. :cry:

I have identified most of the components but I'm stuck on identifying 2 of the resistors.

One of the sets (2@) of resistors is a 150R resistor and the other set (2@) is a 10K resistor.

These resistors look identical in configuration, with the exception of the color bands around them.

One of the sets has the following color bands;
Gold, Brown, Green, Brown.
The other set has the following color bands;
Gold, Orange, Black, Brown
I do have kind of a color code chart but it is difficult to know for sure.
My best guess is that the one with the Green band is the 150R.

Can you tell me from this description which ones are which?

The board shows 2 ports for each of these resistors.
One set is labeled R1 & R2. The other set is labeled R3 & R4.
These labels appear on one of each of these on the board.
Can you tell me which end of these resistors goes into the port that shows the label (* ------*R1)?
Is it the end that has the Gold band that should go closest to the label, or is it the other end?

Also, I have a 10uF electrolytic capacitor with with wires of different lengths.
I found where this goes on the circuit board but one of the 2 ports that the wires go into is marked with a "+".
Can you tell me if I should put the longer of the 2 wires into that + port, or does the shorter wire go in there?

One of the other components that I have a question on is, what I believe to be a 1N4148 diode.
This looks similar to the resistors but is about 1/2 the size of them in length and diameter.
There is a Black band on one end, the remainder Orange and there appears to be tiny Black markings upon the Orange. The best that I can determine is that these marking might be directional indicators (like maybe arrows).
The markings on the board, where this goes, seem to bear this out (necessary directional placement) because they appear somewhat as follows; *---->|----*
Can you tell me which end goes into the port that the arrow is pointing towards? Would it be the end with the Black band, or the other end?

Any help that you can give me is much appreciated.
Charles

One of the sets has the following color bands;
Gold, Brown, Green, Brown.
The other set has the following color bands;
Gold, Orange, Black, Brown
I do have kind of a color code chart but it is difficult to know for sure.
My best guess is that the one with the Green band is the 150R.

Can you tell me from this description which ones are which?

Yes, you are right. The one with Green band is 150R.

But you read it backward. the correct way shoud be:
1. Brown, Green, Brown, Gold = 15*10^1 = 150. Gold is 10% tolerance.
2. Brown, Black, Orange, Gold = 10*10^3 = 10K. Gold = 10% tolerance.

The board shows 2 ports for each of these resistors.
One set is labeled R1 & R2. The other set is labeled R3 & R4.
These labels appear on one of each of these on the board.
Can you tell me which end of these resistors goes into the port that shows the label (* ------*R1)?
Is it the end that has the Gold band that should go closest to the label, or is it the other end?

It does not matter with resistors.

Also, I have a 10uF electrolytic capacitor with with wires of different lengths.
I found where this goes on the circuit board but one of the 2 ports that the wires go into is marked with a "+".
Can you tell me if I should put the longer of the 2 wires into that + port, or does the shorter wire go in there?

The longer wire should be + port. You might also see a label (-) or a black stripe run across the capacitor on the side of short wire. That should be - port.

One of the other components that I have a question on is, what I believe to be a 1N4148 diode.
This looks similar to the resistors but is about 1/2 the size of them in length and diameter.
There is a Black band on one end, the remainder Orange and there appears to be tiny Black markings upon the Orange. The best that I can determine is that these marking might be directional indicators (like maybe arrows).
The markings on the board, where this goes, seem to bear this out (necessary directional placement) because they appear somewhat as follows; *---->|----*
Can you tell me which end goes into the port that the arrow is pointing towards? Would it be the end with the Black band, or the other end?

The black band indicates anode of diode. That end should go into the port that the arrow is pointing toward.

Good luck.[/quote]

Thank you very much for your helpful reply.

As I had mentioned, this is my first experience working with electronic components and I am very pleased to find that, from what I've seen so far, these components are built in a very logical manner.

As a rank novice, I find this very encouraging.

Charles

CSUjr,
I have to disagree with electrman70 regarding the diode. The band indicates the cathode. Otherwise his explanation was very good.
Regards,
Kral

Oh my, because of what Kral has said in reply;
I have to disagree with electrman70 regarding the diode. The band indicates the cathode.
I now have to ask if, regarding the Black band;
That end should go into the port that the arrow is pointing toward.
is correct.

In other words, is Kral's reply simply a mudding of the waters through a knit-picking of terminology, or does this mean that the Black band goes the other way?
:| :?::?::?:

I'm hoping that this is just a matter of good intentions gone astray.

Can someone please clarify this?

Thanks again,
Charles

CSUjr,
You are correct in that the band should go into the port that the arrow is pointing toward . The arrow indicates the direction of conventional current flow, which is from the anode(no band) to the cathode (with band).
Regards,
Kral

Thank you for all of your help.

One other basic question, if I may;
Am I correct in assuming that the Red wire (and not the Black one) on the 9V battery snap is the Positive lead?

I just want to be sure before I solder all of this together.

Charles

Yes, red is positive.

Good job to learn more about electronics you have to build circuits and ask.
We are here to help.
Try some sites like:
discovercircuits.com

there are a lot more sites and books.
I will not list them since ther are on the forum.
Just make a small search
GOOD LUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back