Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

testbench without a DUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulr127

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys

Any tips on making a tesbench (UVM) before the design/DUT to start with??

Many thanks

just for learning UVM? maybe download a very simple core from opencores.org and play with it

Treat the DUT as a black box.

Instantiate it in your tb & generate stimulus as per requirements.

simples

Thanks. I am new to this. Partcularly in UVM, how to make a testbench without a design/or DUT or more precisely making a testbench before the design is there and make sure it works....so that when design is available you can just instantiate it and use the same testbench....

Any example project or resources that can help me please???

more precisely making a testbench before the design is there and make sure it works

Makes little sense! Do you understand how a test-bench works?
It drives some signals, and waits for some response from the DUT, after which the TB makes a decision. So if you have no DUT, how do you expect to get a proper response?

A workaround is to use a design that is similar in functionality with the real future design, and use it to test your TB ! That being said, the temp_DUT interface must be exactly matching with the real_future_DUT.

Last edited:

If you are new to "all this", and you have little experience with testbenches, then I highly suggest you avoid UVM for now. It is very complicated to many seasoned designers, let alone newbies. You need to get yourself up to speed with SV before you even think of UVM.

I understand that. I meant can I have some sort of dummy dut to serve the purpose . Or we can have two UVM agents (one active and one passive) just to test connect them back to back wihout any dut.......

I understand that. I meant can I have some sort of dummy dut to serve the purpose . Or we can have two UVM agents (one active and one passive) just to test connect them back to back wihout any dut.......

just create a fake dut that responds with random data or something. don't make this more complicated than it has to be.

Thanks very much for all your replies. I appreciate that.

I would appreciate if someone can give me example code of this fake dummy DUT which you have used or come across?

Many thanks

Thanks. Sorry inputs of what to outputs of what....

I assume you have a Specification for the DUT, otherwise how can you write a testbench at all?
If you have the spec, then you'll have the interface. Just connect through whatever seems sensible through directly to the output.

For example

Your requirement says the device shall respond after x ms.

Then you have your fake DUT.

if something happens then
wait for x ms;
send response
end if;

and on your testbench side you drive the "something happens".

Your question is too vague as #12 points out. You need requirements/specifications. This is what I was alluding to in my earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back