Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will this launch washers with a few hundred juels of input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Want to dump 200v @ 1000uf into this:

**broken link removed**

My concern being the volt rating much lower 12V howeverso Im confident magnetwire inside will withstand it will it launch washers high in the sky?

Probably not, it is designed for holding or lifting so the magnetic field will be concentrated very close to the operating surface. It will give some 'push' to a projectile but once it has reached a few mm the force will drop to almost zero.

200V is probably FAR more than you should connect to it. It isn't the voltage you apply or the brief time you apply it for that causes the problem, it's the collapsing magnetic field when the charge is removed. You could get many KV of induced voltage which would destroy the insulation around the wiring. There are ways to protect against that but when it fundamentally wont work well, there is little point in tinkering with protection mechanisms.

Brian.

Shortly after I made topic I realized magnet core is inapplicable to my use for washer launching, since most field resides in whatever core they selected. My best choice is air core employing high voltage wire.

I cannot see this working with dc.
A steel washer is going to be attracted to a dc generated magnetic field.
It will just stick to the electromagnet, even with an air core.

To throw a washer requires a very strong ac field, enough to generate a huge circulating eddy current in the washer. That circulating current generates its own magnetic field which repels the original ac field that generated it.

What you need is an ac welder to generate a very high ac current.

You can certainly bump a washer into the air, but not very far.
I think you are going to be disappointed.

Reactions: j33pn

j33pn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back