Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mechanical resonance of a inductor coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximillian

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,
Does anyone know how to calculate the mechanical resonance of a micro inductor coil? It is a 3D helical micro coil.
Thanks.

Do you mean the mechanical vibration of the coil? When the current flows in the turns of the coil, they experience a mechanical force and this may give rise to a mechanical vibration of the coil. This will change the physical dimension of the coil and may lead to undesirable effects. This frequency will depend on the spring constant of the coil. Many coils are securely mounted on a former and are relatively stable or rigid.

3D conical coils without support are relatively more vulnerable.

Yes mechanical vibration in the coil. My coil is mounted on a pcb. I would like to know the mechanical resonance of it. I thought of using a high speed camera to see the vibrations. But the difficulty is how should I excite the coil.

You need to excite the coil with sinusoidal current and scan the frequency till you see the resonance (or vibrations in the coil). Perhaps a high speed camera may not be suitable; you may also try to reflect a laser beam off the coil onto some wall. The reflected beam will trace out a line (or some other shape) when the coil vibrates.

Status
Not open for further replies.