Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Solar Tracker problem: LDR not equal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbtan

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Excuse me, can any one help me with my project. I am going to build a solar tracker but i found out that the LDR of my circuit always have not equal resistance during night causing the motor run non stop at night. I try buy 4 to 5 set of LDR but all the resistance not equal. I am using the comparator to control the solar tracker.
solar-tracker-system-550x371.jpg

You can try with two parallel resistors to the LDRs. They will keep the bridge mostly balanced at low light intensity. Ultimately there should be an additional LDR with a comparator that shuts the tracker down below a certain brightness.

thank you for your opinion. I will try it out

Excuse me, can any one help me with my project. I am going to build a solar tracker but i found out that the LDR of my circuit always have not equal resistance during night

Why not have an 'over-ride' status; if too dark for too long, assume it is night and shut-down for NN hours.

Or put on a timer.

The ldr cannot have the same resistance because ldr resistance vary with light intensity

The ldr cannot have the same resistance because ldr resistance vary with light intensity

well that is the property of LDRs!!!!! but the reason is more how they are made and the materials

Why not have an 'over-ride' status; if too dark for too long, assume it is night and shut-down for NN hours.

Or put on a timer.
So I need to use a microcontroller to control the solar tracker ??? In my circuit it doesn't consist of microcontroller to control the operation. I use a comparator to compare the voltage from LDR then drive the motor

by using microcontroller you can control your tracker more efficiently even in day time also

So I need to use a microcontroller to control the solar tracker ??? In my circuit it doesn't consist of microcontroller to control the operation. I use a comparator to compare the voltage from LDR then drive the motor

hahahhaha No! I am not of those that thinks a micro-controller is needed for everything!

but you would need some logic circuits. I'll let you do a flow diagram.

hahahhaha No! I am not of those that thinks a micro-controller is needed for everything!

but you would need some logic circuits. I'll let you do a flow diagram.
Sorry but i don't quite understand how it operate without microcontroller. Can you briefly explain to me. Thank you.

LDR-----> comparator['1' if voltage indicates 'night']--->long delay pulse generator*--->motor 'switch'------> motor turn-off

* with fast reset

You can try with two parallel resistors to the LDRs. They will keep the bridge mostly balanced at low light intensity. Ultimately there should be an additional LDR with a comparator that shuts the tracker down below a certain brightness.
the resistor parallel to LDR should be higher or lower than the LDR resistance in day time

Using a resistor across each LDR is the cheapest option. What value is the question - depends on how sensitive the comparator is. It has to be small enough to negate the difference in the dark, yet large enough to not to unduly influence the tracking of the sun.

I agree there ought to be a circuit to shut down the tracker at night.

Reactions: kbtan

kbtan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
you don't say whether its polar or azimuth tracking that is faulty. I would use a "master" LDR that when the light has fallen sufficiently returns the polar tracking to due west and the azimuth to 0 degrees then shuts it down until the sun rises the next morning.
Frank

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back