Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How slow is PICStart Plus Speed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMOS

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PICStart Plus Speed

Hi,
I recently got PICStart Plus programmer for testing. I tried programming 16F84A with it using a test program which was only 14 words long and it took more than one minute to program it!!!

I have another PIC programmer ( **broken link removed** ) that programs entire 16F84A in less than 10 seconds.

Is PICStart Plus that slow? or there is some other problem?

Re: PICStart Plus Speed

I have reselled my picstart plus, and I have bought picquick from
**broken link removed**
and my life is better!!! very more speed
also for dubugging in almost case is more fast to use insider
**broken link removed**
than ICD2
another question picstart plus with pum is not very affidable, my pum was unprogrammed without motive, and i have lost week for change it by microchip

PicStart Plus is significantly slower than the ICD series, but it's not THAT slow as in programming a 14-word hex file in one minute. That's not normal.

Do I always have to always set end address of hex file for PICStart Plus?
I just observed that even though my program is only 14-words long, PSP programs entire memory even though it is blank. This happens because end address is by default set to 0x3FF.

CMOS said:
Do I always have to always set end address of hex file for PICStart Plus?
yes you better do it
but you will never have speed programming with PSP :(
i like elnec products, very fast even if MPLAB dosnt recognize it : a popup comes when hex file has changed (after successful build) and ask for a new programming. simple and fast :)

i believe that the fastest PIC programmer is the P16PRO40 which is based on the David Tait design. but its a parallel port programmer.

i have been using the Ozipic programmer (P16PRO40) with WinPicProg http://www.winpicprog.co.uk and i havent had any speed problems

Is there a way to speed up picstar plus????. Anyone knows something?

i don't think it is possible... the speed of the psp+ is really making crazy... well, is there any idea why it is so slow. surely microchip can do quicker programmer than this.... is this for give a chance to third party companies. or is this for sell their upper end programmer(promate)??
(and in my opinion to buy icd2 more sensible)

Moof said:
Is there a way to speed up picstar plus????. Anyone knows something?
No its impossible
PSP has a PIC17C inside, you cannot speed up its RS232 or MPLAB's one :evil:

Can anyone tell me how much time ICD2 takes to program full 16F877A or any other micrcontroller you know?

Hello

PICPlus might be much better, cauze we have both PIC start and PICplus, PICsttart is slower, don't why. But just wanted to point for that.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.