Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Display composite video on analog oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2aew

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Here's a fun project I did the other night. A little circuit to create the necessary XY "ramps" from composite video (NTSC) sync pulses so that you can display the video signal as a picture on an analog oscilloscope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FYF5uhCzAM

The internet's too slow to use youtube here but it brings back memories of doing the same thing many years ago. Sadly, it's starting the become difficult to find analog video sources these days!

Brian.

The internet's too slow to use youtube here but it brings back memories of doing the same thing many years ago. Sadly, it's starting the become difficult to find analog video sources these days!

I have a digital video camera, and even my fairly new point-n-shoot digital camera (that I make all my videos with) has a composite video output.

See this projects:

https://www.franktechniek.nl/Kits/oscilloscopeclock/oscilloscopeclock.htm

scope-500.jpg

https://www.retrothing.com/2008/02/diy-turn-your-o.html

I've seen those before - very cool stuff!

One of my scopes is a Tek 2232 which has a secret menu if you press the right buttons. You can either see a nice Tektronix 'CRT' logo or an animated Wizard on a skateboard! But that's in the firmware of course, not from an external video source.

Brian.

I designed the M1 head mounted display for Liquid Image Corp around Y2K era. We made a 100 prototype units and they sold for $1k. I used the composite video signal from an ultrasonic scanner, RGB VGA laptop and NTSC VCR and made it sync to all of these signals and display it on an active matrix LCD from Kopin Corp.

It was like a camcorder viewer TV mounted in a headset. Some called it the "world's smallest TV" but with an inbult lens was like a 15" display at arms length. But our inside joke was that it was called the "Pig Monocle" for a Montreal corp client who made Ultrasonic monitors for Pig farmers in South America. I got it working for Vegas trade show using a portable cam chip so Tony bragged to Motorola who had not got their Kopin chip working yet for viewing faxes from cell phones. circa '99. Used for wearable computing market.

Synchronization from various non-std sources was tricky. We used an Altera logic chip to generate the timing signals and could pan the display with buttons on the "walk-man" like user interface mounted on the hip. PLL was done in typical analog style.

Fortunately VGA will be around for a while with RGB signals that can be used separately or combined with a weighted R combiner network.
**broken link removed** The original M1. For Tony Havelka@ Liquid Image designed by Tony Stewart @ C-MAC Winnipeg with support staff.

Last edited:

tpetar - GREAT examples, I had only seen a few of them previously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back