Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power handling of general RF connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwman1234

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
who can tell me the power handling of general rf connector?
where can i find the acurate calculate method?i need to consider t all kinds of factor include the high altitude condition.
thanks for your helping

The manufacturer's data sheets are the best source of all information. In general, the connector ratings are higher than the ratings of the cables they fit on in most cases. This is due to the cable being limited by heat from the attenuation.

mwman1234 said:
who can tell me the power handling of general rf connector?
where can i find the acurate calculate method?i need to consider t all kinds of factor include the high altitude condition.
thanks for your helping

You need to look as flatulent mentioned datasheets.

Since you mentioned altitude conditions these kind of connectors are called "Metrology Grade connectors"

The metrology grade connectors have high performance and are the most expensive connectors of all the connector grades. Hence power!

Metrology grade uses an air dielectric interface and a slotless female contact. All is done because this provides high performance and traceability.

Power handling is limitated by almost 2 dangereous fenomena:
Joule effect, related to the specific loss (dB/m) and the heat dissipation.
Corona effect and Voltaic Arc, related to the voltage and the dielectric "rigidity".

Connectors are often filled with air dielectric lines wich are more sensitive, than the dielectric, to the spark.

Because the Voltaic Arc may be destructive, it's is not suggested to calculate, knowing the geometry, the max voltage. In this case a safety, and arbitrary coefficient is applied by manufacturs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back